2 months ago
About the Role
Principal Engineer, Structures Investigation - Exeter
Think bigger scale. Think higher profile. Think groundbreaking. Join WSP, and you’ll be at the heart of a team of international experts all dedicated to growing and sharing their expertise, and working on projects that transform society for all of us.
WSP’s Structures Investigation Group (SIG) is growing to accommodate an expanding workload, we are looking to recruit a Principal Engineer to join the team and work on a variety of interesting and exciting projects.
It is essential to determine with confidence the condition of a structure, the cause, extent and severity of any deterioration and determine appropriate actions to take and when. This vital information is key to effectively managing assets and minimising whole life costs. Our specialist team plan, organise, carry out and report on many types of investigations and inspections to a wide range of structures. We have particular expertise in the management of post-tensioned structures for major clients across the UK and overseas.
A typical week would include:
You will be an integral part of our project delivery team network and will be key in the management of these teams to the meet the client’s brief. Your role will include identifying and prioritising necessary structural investigations, planning, organising, execution and reporting. Part of your role will involve the programming of resources and projects to ensure timely delivery, liaising with clients, stakeholders and other technical disciplines to deliver innovative designs within time and cost constraints.
In collaboration with other senior members of the team, you may need to provide cover for the team leader during leave or absence, reviewing quality to maintain the highest level of service and output in line with the client requirements.
* Preparation of proposals and work scopes including pricing and programming,
* Preparation of management studies including prioritising structures for further works
* Review and approval of method statements / risk assessments for site activities,
* Execution of structure inspections and investigations by planning, undertaking site work and where necessary, supervision of sub-contractors and third parties,
* Review and approval of schedules for laboratory testing of materials samples,
* Checking and approval of CAD drawings and text for factual, interpretive and summary reports,
* Delivery of project governance, admin and management tasks as required.
* Exercise independent engineering judgement and provide innovative solutions to engineering problems.
* Manage delivery of suitable programmes of work, contributing significantly to technical excellence and innovation across the team whilst demonstrating compliance with Health and Safety responsibilities.
* Be a proactive and collaborative team member; work closely with colleagues and fit seamlessly into a delivery tea; be flexible and liaise with other teams from other engineering disciplines.
We'd love to hear from you if you have:
* Masters or Bachelors degree in civil engineering or relevant associated field.
* Membership of a Professional Institution such as ICE, I Struct E, BINDT or similar,
* BICS competence, or working towards this, would be highly advantageous,
Knowledge / Experience:
* Relevant qualification experience, with at least three years post Chartered experience, including inspection, testing and monitoring of structures.
* Knowledge of the management systems and process used within WSP or a similar consultancy business would be advantageous. Knowledge of relevant software and standards used in the management of bridge assets together with proficiency in the production of engineering reports is considered crucial.
What if we can?
What if we can have work-life balance? What if we can be rewarded in ways that support our individual needs? What if we can be accepted for who we are? Here at WSP – we can!
WSP recognizes that work is only one part of our lives and making time for the other things in our life is important – be that our families, our friends or ourselves. So, if working from home, working part-time or having flexible start and finish time will help with this let us know as part of your application.
As well as rewarding you with competitive pay, WSP offers standard benefits including a 37.5 hour working week, 25 days annual leave, pension schemes, life assurance, personal accident cover and paid professional subscriptions, and some not so standard benefits as part of our flexible benefits scheme – so if you would like to hop on a new bike (cycle to work scheme) or thrill the family with your Lego building skills (Discount at Legoland Windsor) – WSP can help!
Be you, be happy - we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximizes the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring. Our VIBE (LGBT + employee network) and WiL (Women in Leadership) networks work with the business to help ensure we continue to promote the right environment to enable LGBT+ and female employees to reach their full potential, and to ensure we continue to promote equality, inclusivity and diversity for everyone.
A little about us:
Together, our people make up one of the world's leading engineering professional services consulting firms. We’re dedicated to the communities where we live and work in the UK and propelled by international brainpower. Staying curious is what drives us. Looking at challenges from fresh angles helps us deliver future-ready solutions that break paradigms.
With around 7,900 talented people in 70+ offices across the UK, and 43,000 around the world, we engineer projects that will help societies grow for lifetimes to come.