3 months ago
Job number: UK17080
Career area: Design Engineering
UK, South East, Redhill
About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Principal Engineer to join our Rail team to work in Redhill, Surrey.
* Provide direct support to the Engineering Manager, including deputising in his absence, for the leadership and direction of Civil Engineering in delivering structures renewal, major maintenance, assessment, examination and minor works projects from initial proposal through planning and design to technical support during implementation, in a safe, professional and high quality manner.
* To assist in delivering competitive tenders for consultancy work including feasibility studies and management contracts.
* To ensure Civil Engineering co-ordinates with other organisations, including statutory authorities and the management of subcontractors, to ensure safety, quality and budgetary targets are met for each project completed.
* Ensure that all possible new markets for Civil Engineering are investigated and encouraged by managing high quality work with good planning and quality control.
* Ensure new clients are aware of previous achievements.
* Significant assistance in the achievement of a profitable, safety conscious and quality group that can meet all technical and contractual requirements.
What you'll be doing
As a Principal Engineer, your main responsibilities are as follows:
* Analyse project remits in conjunction with client and determine action plans for resolution of project specification, progress and implementation having regard to fiscal and business objectives.
* To assist the Engineering Manager in ensuring that the group prepares detailed
designs, drawings, plans, programmes and specifications (including the procurement of quantity surveying support) for all projects.
* Identify and determine requisite in-house managerial/technical resources or procure consultancy support for same where need is identified.
* Ensure design group determines scope of site surveys and implement to support the production of outline schemes / options / estimates / financial submissions to enable cost effective decisions.
* Support and undertake preparation of financial submissions as projects proceed,
recommend and implement corrective action in light of emerging results.
* Ensure design groups monitor (both in-house and on-site) and report on project progress achievement: analyse financial consequences and justify course of action, implement following endorsement.
* Ensure all work undertaken is valued correctly and billed promptly to allow full
recovery of resources.
* Implement project safety strategy, monitor execution and determine/implement
adjustments, where identified.
* Act as Designer and / or Planning Supervisor under the Construction Design and Management Regulations as directed by the client.
* Ensure client satisfaction with all safety documentation produced.
* Ensuring that Civil Engineering complies with the Health and Safety at Work Act,
COSHH regulations, Fire Precautions Management and Environmental Protection
* Demonstrate commitment through personal example.
* Ensure that tender submissions are analysed and that the technical and safety content is satisfactory.
* Direct others on the methods of construction envisaged and organise the
selection of subcontractors.
* Take part in tender review meetings.
* Sufficient packages delivered to programme and budget
* Packages and service comply with good practice, relevant technical, professional and group standards
* Accurate delivery with minimum of rework
* Effective and organised team.
* Accurate and complete records
* Successful audits
* Completed professional development reviews
* To peer review competency of staff.
Who we're looking for
The following qualities and experience are essential:
* Chartered Engineer and Member of the ICE (or IStructE) essential with a minimum of 5 years of railway experience plus proven management ability in relation to contract administration and control, financial analysis and control.
* Knowledge and understanding of British Standards especially Eurocodes, codes of practice, technical handbooks and relevant Group Standards.
* Knowledge of Network Rail contracts and other contract forms, contract procedures, Railway Standard Specifications.
* Practical knowledge of safety regulations including Construction Design and Management Regulations, Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and Construction
* Knowledge of construction methods and materials
* Experience of contractual claims and financial valuations.
* Experience in the management of subcontractors.
* Significant experience in the detailed facets of engineering for their particular discipline.
* Has dealt with and delivered the solutions to complex engineering problems and has experienced delivering these solutions in the design and build environment.
* Has experience in leading large teams to deliver projects.
* Experience of developing processes and procedures.
* Ability to communicate effectively at all levels is essential.
The following qualities and experience are desirable:
* Knowledge of Engineering Drawing Practices
* Undertaking PTS, IWA, COSS, confined spaces, aerial platform, OHLE training (as
* Experience of structures assessment and an understanding of the use of steel, wrought and cast iron, masonry and concrete as means of
construction highly desirable.
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
Balfour Beatty Rail Limited is an international leader in rail infrastructure engineering projects and the UK's largest rail engineering and services provider. We offer a full range of rail infrastructure activities from high-speed rail to mass rapid transit, covering urban, rural and commuter routes, for both public and private railways.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.