about 1 year ago
Principal Development Management Planner
About the role
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Principal Development Management Planner, to join Capita's Planning Department working on behalf of Breckland Council and based in Dereham, Norfolk, Norfolk within a full time role.
Working under the Head of Development Management the successful applicant will help to support the delivery of a high quality, effective, efficient and customer focused service.
In 2009 Capita was appointed as partner to Breckland District Council to provide its Town Planning and Building Control service. Our team, based in the Council’s offices in Dereham, Norfolk, provide the Council with the full range of planning policy, development management and building control services. We also provide consultancy services to other councils and to the private sector, with access across the Capita Business to a full range of built environment consultancy support.
Capita Limited is one of the largest and fastest growing consultancies in the UK Property and Infrastructure markets with approximately 4000 staff in 50 plus United Kingdom locations with a turnover in excess of £200m. In turn, the Capita Group plc is one of the UK’s leading providers of integrated professional support services solutions with a vast range of capabilities in the private and public sector with approximately 36,800 employees and 250 offices in the UK and Ireland
What you will do:
* Your work for our Breckland Council client will include:
* Managing a team including Senior and Assistant Planners, Historic Buildings Consultant and Tree Consultant providing training as required, and managing and improving their outputs
* Deputising for the Head of Development Management as required
* Ensuring that all team applications are determined within the required timescale
* Ensuring that all team outstanding applications have a suitable extension of time agreed in writing with the applicant or agent, and are determined within the timescales set out in the Planning guarantee
* Providing regular team reports to the Head of Development Management/Operations Team
* Managing a caseload of all types of application including major applications
* Providing timely, comprehensive and accurate reports and recommendations on planning applications to meet relevant targets
* Providing advice and support to the Enforcement Team on planning enforcement matters if required
* Providing professional representation on planning and enforcement matters at appeal and associated proceedings
* Attending and presenting in a clear and concise manner at Planning Committee
* Managing the Planning Committee Process with the administration assistant and Head of Development Management
* Providing professional advice on planning matters to Members of the Council, the public, and others as necessary
* To keep up to date with current legislation and policy changes, including CPD requirements
* Experience in dealing with large scale planning applications
Your experience will include:
* Substantial post qualification experience in development management ideally in both a private and public sector environment
* A demonstrable ability to identify and realise commercial trading opportunities
* Experience of, or the clear potential for, team leadership
* An ability to make site visits together with a driving licence
* A degree qualification in Town and Country Planning or equivalent experience
* Membership (or eligible for membership) of the Royal Town Planning Institute and up to date CPD
* A thorough knowledge of current planning legislation, and a vision for land use planning in the Localism era
* Good verbal and written communication skills to include an ability to make concise focused oral presentations to a wide range of audiences
* The ability to consider a wide range of complex issues and balance those issues to make a clear and reasoned judgement
* Good analytical skills to be able to challenge evidence submitted in connection with land use planning matters
What’s in it for you?
At Capita, training and development aren’t optional extras: they’re how we do our job. We will motivate you to perform at your peak, recognising your achievements and rewarding them appropriately. As well as a generous basic salary we also give you generous holiday, company pension scheme and access to voluntary benefit options including; child care vouchers, share save scheme, life assurance, holiday buy and many more designed to suit your own personal lifestyle. All of this, in a professional but fun environment.
What we hope you will do next
Help us find out more about you by completing our short application process – click apply now.
Capita operates as an equal opportunities employer and we welcome all applications regardless of gender, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, race, colour, ethnic origin, nationality, religion or beliefs, disability, age, political opinions or trade union membership.
Listen | Create | Deliver