about 1 month ago
We are looking for an experienced Principal Design Engineer to join our highways team in Oxford. This is an exciting position where you will be a pivotal member of a busy project team working on major schemes within our Oxfordshire County Council contract.
The Oxfordshire Highways contract is an integrated contract delivering a range of services in partnership with Oxfordshire County Council. To achieve the growth and economic aspirations set by Oxfordshire County Council, there is an exciting and ambitious capital investment programme to tackle congestion and improve access to businesses and housing, and therefore we are seeking to recruit design staff at various levels to expand the Oxford office. You will have the opportunity to flourish and build upon your experience, delivering major projects and ultimately bringing projects to life.
The Principal Design Engineer will lead a close-knit team of engineers and technicians to develop and deliver a wide range of highway and transport infrastructure projects. These range from small scale city centre cycling & pedestrian improvements, to major new highway infrastructure and sustainable transport projects.
* Lead the design a range of highway improvement and traffic engineering schemes.
* Support the technical design lead in managing the design team, including line management, training and mentoring, cover during periods of absence, recruitment etc..
* Work closely with project managers and other local teams to plan and implement these schemes from ‘start to finish’ within budget and to programme, and in compliance with quality, safety and environmental objectives.
* Work collaboratively with our client to ensure clear scheme scope and objectives, responsibilities defined and change control managed.
* Lead successful stakeholder consultation events/public exhibitions for projects and liaison with stakeholders at all stages of project delivery.
* Ensure that relevant standards are applied in accordance with national & local criteria and sound engineering practice, to deliver appropriate solution which offer best value.
We're looking for:
* Successful track record for delivering highways and transport design projects, including traffic engineering and sustainable transport projects.
* Good working knowledge of Design Manual for Roads and Bridges/Specification for Highway Works and other relevant design standards relating to the design and maintenance of local authority highway and transport schemes.
* Proficient in the design & delivery of highway infrastructure projects using AutoCAD/highway & drainage design software.
* Site based highways experience to provide sufficient understanding of buildability, traffic management and construction programming.
* Achieved or working towards Chartered Membership of the Institution of Civil Engineers or equivalent professional qualification.
* Excellent interpersonal skills and a team player with a ‘can do’ approach.
The position is based in our co-located office in County Hall. We work out of a lively, vibrant workplace in a central location where we are next to one of the UK’s leading shopping centres with excellent access to public transport.
A career with us means you will have the freedom to develop your skills and leave your mark on the communities in which we work. With a multitude of great opportunities within the company, joining us means you will be supported and involved at every step in a team where we take pride in promoting a ‘family culture’.
We thrive through embracing differences because we know that diversity opens a rich potential for new ways of thinking, helping us to build successful and winning teams. We call it Naturally Skanska.
Flexible working: We welcome you to ask about the flexibility you need. Anyone who applies for a role can ask about flexibility at interview. In return, we will explore what is possible for the role.
We would like you to perform at your best at every stage of our recruitment process. Please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org if you require any adjustments that would support you throughout your application.
Please note this is an advert for our Job vacancy, and therefore may not be inclusive of all assigned duties, responsibilities, or aspects of the role described, and may be amended at anytime at the sole discretion of Skanska. For a full role profile, please contact us: email@example.com.
Skanska UK reserve the right to close this advert at any time before the closing date advertised.
* Location: Oxford, England, United Kingdom
* Schedule: Full-time
* Employee Status: Regular
* About Skanska: We thrive through embracing differences, whether they be social backgrounds, ethnicity, disability, gender, age, religion, sexuality and any other protected characteristic, we know that diversity opens a rich potential for new ways of thinking, helping us to build successful and winning teams. We call it Naturally Skanska.
Make your next career move with us.