3 months ago
We are looking for a Principal Design Engineer (Bridges) to join our design team in Oxford.
The Oxfordshire Highways contract is an integrated contract delivering a range of services in partnership with Oxfordshire County Council. Oxfordshire County Council maintains over 1000 highway structures, many of them with historic interest and key significance in the transport network, providing a varied and challenging workload. To achieve the growth and economic aspirations set by Oxfordshire County Council, there is an exciting and ambitious capital investment programme to tackle congestion and improve access to businesses and housing, and therefore we are seeking to recruit design staff at various levels to expand the Oxford office.
The Principal Design Engineer will play a key role in a small team of engineers and technicians to design and deliver a range of projects and functions to maintain this important asset, to agreed budgets and programmes.
* Lead preparation of designs for a wide variety of bridge replacement, strengthening and maintenance schemes in close collaboration with our client to identify and meet the project objectives.
* Implement these schemes from ‘cradle to grave’, within budget and to programme, including liaison with internal and external stakeholders.
* Review deliverables prepared by the bridge design team.
* Line manage and mentor staff within the team, ensuring work is planned and undertaken safely and efficiently.
* Support the Structures Technical Design Lead in resource planning and co-ordination of the bridge design team.
* Assist in other structures asset management activities such as inspections, review of third party designs, structural assessments, maintenance prioritisation etc.
* Work closely with project managers and other local team members to provide technical support to a variety of highway and transport schemes, including major projects with new highway structures.
We are looking for:
* Substantial experience in highway structures inspection, maintenance, design, asset management and construction.
* Extensive working knowledge of Design Manual for Roads and Bridges/Specification for Highway Works/Eurocodes relating to the design and maintenance of highway structures.
* Substantial experience of working collaboratively with clients, contractors, stakeholders and multidiscipline design teams.
* Experience of managing & mentoring bridge engineers, graduates and technicians.
* Proficient in use of structural analysis software (e.g. LUSAS, TEDDS, and RING).
* A relevant Degree in Civil Engineering or equivalent.
* Chartered Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers or equivalent professional qualification.
* Excellent interpersonal skills and a team player with a ‘can do’ approach.
The position is based in our co-located office in County Hall. We work out of a lively, vibrant workplace in a central location where we are next to one of the UK’s leading shopping centres with excellent access to public transport.
A career with us means you will have the freedom to develop your skills and leave your mark on the communities in which we work. With a multitude of great opportunities within the company, joining us means you will be supported and involved at every step in a team where we take pride in promoting a ‘family culture’.