about 1 year ago
Principal Concept Engineer
Role Title and Location:Principle Concept Engineer - Stevenage
Job Ref No: P7370
MBDA: Level 4
Reports to: Head of Weapon System Concepts
Want to break the mould? This opportunity provides that by working as part of a small team in Weapon System Concepts where we content with unfamiliar customer requirements, seeking appropriate solutions for the market need. Problem structuring, analysis and high level systems engineering are the key skills to develop and hone. The successful candidate is likely to be an experienced, innovative engineer with an understanding of the military operational environment.
Creating concepts and conducting experiments to prove their potential and the selling the ideas
* Through working with internal and external stakeholders
* Typical activities include:
* Investigating market/ customer need, perhaps involving visits and interaction with Sales and Business Development
* Concept Generation and Refinement, based on understanding the potential of new technologies– the birth of future projects!
* Participating in customer focused Experiments, using a wide range of techniques including wargames and synthetic environments
* Manage and Deliver the Team Complex Weapons Concepting contract (value $630K)
What’s in it for you?
* Instigating the conceptual development of future weapon systems.
* Responsibility for a small contract – delivery and determination of the scope of work
* Understanding the very earliest phase in pre-concept phase, gaining insight into the Concept phase
* Varied work for a diverse range of customers / projects.in a multinational environment
* Working with the Portfolio team on a regular basis
* Contributing to development of new ways of working with the Customer (e.g. Portfolio Plus)
* Opportunity to interact with the Customer, Dstl, the Future Systems community, and SBD.
* Exploiting your high level view and systems thinking to work at ‘system’, ‘system of system’ and ‘portfolio’ levels.
What’s great about the team?
Weapon Systems Concepts is a small team but significant responsibility for the future of the company. It is a fast paced, challenging environment where the team are open and collaborative, and have frequent visibility to senior levels within the company. We are charged with delivering a range of conceptual outputs for a variety of purposes
What are we looking for?
* Ideally degree qualified (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline
* Broad understanding of the military operational environment
* Strong system engineering skills and analysis capability; able to structure information, draw conclusions and make recommendations
* Able to deliver presentations and lead workshops, pitching information at the right level of detail
* Proactive, able to seek out contacts, elicit information and suggest solutions
* Able to work at all levels throughout the company, and build effective relationships with customers
* Able to see and understand the ‘big picture’ and think about many things at once, as well as keeping track of the detail
* Comfortable in a working environment where there can be frequent change, uncertainty and ambiguity
What would you get?
Competitive salary, flexible working, paid overtime (subject to level), a comprehensive pension scheme, employee funded voluntary private healthcare, sporting activities, fantastic site facilities, bonus schemes (subject to level) and superb learning and development opportunities.
Please Note: MBDA UK requires all employees to achieve and maintain SC security clearance or above without restrictions that will inhibit the individual’s ability to fulfil the requirements of the role. Your eligibility for the appropriate level of security clearance may be discussed with you during the recruitment process. Any existing clearance holders may be able to transfer clearance (subject to approval).