5 months ago
Principal Civil/Structural Engineer - Nuclear & Defence - (ATE00003U)
Jacobs is one of the world’s largest and most diverse providers of full-spectrum technical, professional and consultancy services for industrial, commercial and government organisations globally.
With more than 74,000 people globally, our teams collaborate, innovate and create. Our people are proud to have been behind some of the greatest consultancy and engineering feats over the past 70 years.
We foster a collaborative and inclusive environment for our people, and our partners, and we want you to be a part of our growing business.
We currently have an opportunity for a Senior Structural Engineer within our team based in Barrow. The successful person will become part of a respected and ambitious company with excellent career prospects and international opportunities.
Jacobs Nuclear and Defence offer a diverse range of services including civil and structural engineering, mechanical and electrical building services, mechanical handling, systems engineering, and project and programme management. Our core civil and structural engineering business is provision of design and management services supporting nuclear and defence clients. This includes supporting the UK submarine fleet, designing key facilities at, for example, Faslane and Barrow in Furness, and providing design services for the Atomic Weapons Establishment. It also includes support to both existing and new build nuclear power stations. We also offer structural design and analysis, and seismic and blast engineering services, for conventional power facilities, petrochemical and oil and gas industries, the gas distribution industry, airports, and other industrial clients.
We are looking to recruit high calibre staff to support our technical delivery capability to meet opportunities in the nuclear and defence industries.
Our team at Barrow-in-Furness, whilst integral to the national organisation, has a key role supporting BAE System’s local operations in Barrow. This includes providing civil, structural, mechanical, electrical and nuclear Safety Case services to the BAE Systems in support of ongoing operations and for the future nuclear submarine facility developments.
Working in Nuclear and Defence in Barrow-In-Furness you will be involved in delivering structural designs and analysis/assessment studies in a multi-discipline environment. The team includes a wealth of experience and expertise in seismic engineering, structural dynamics, finite element analysis and numerical modelling. Sharing of knowledge and learning of new skills is actively encouraged.
Our projects involve designing and assessing complex structures to resist variable and dynamic effects from earthquakes, dropped loads and impacts, vibrating machinery, mechanical handling, explosions, extreme environmental loading and fire. This requires a fundamental understanding of engineering principles and the considered application of numerical analysis techniques, for example modelling ductile behaviour, ‘beyond design basis’ response, soil-structure-interaction, and non-linear buckling behaviour. Also required is an understanding of how structural performance contributes to the critical safety function of nuclear facilities.
Your responsibilities will include:
• Functional input to own projects, including leading the input of other engineers to ensure engineering delivery meets scope, time, cost and quality
• Plan and prioritize own work and that of more junior staff to deliver a quality functional input to projects
• Attend meetings providing technical input and justification
• Oversee more junior members of the team and mentor/develop their core skills
• Able to complete comprehensive engineering calculations and assessments of design solution proposals as well as developing technical details, and undertaking constructability and installation reviews, working autonomously and checking the work or more junior staff
• Generate and check engineering estimates and execution strategies to provide optimal solutions and eliminate errors
• Capable of independent and autonomous work during the delivery of complex engineering activities.
• Chartered Member of an appropriate institution (ICE/IStructE) with at least 5 years post-Chartered experience
• Ability to Lead projects of varying size and complexity, and manage aspects of project activities from a technical perspective
• Excellent technical and report writing skills
• Proficient use and knowledge of appropriate structural analysis programs
• SC clearance required
• Ability to work effectively as a team member
• Ability to have constructive dialogue with staff from all levels and discipline groups; together with liaising with client organisations
• Awareness of applicable codes and safety legislation and how they should be applied
• Experience of detailed calculations and design work for reinforced concrete and structural steelwork using Bridge Codes (Euro, UK and US seismic design codes)
• Experience of working in the Nuclear/Naval Nuclear Propulsion Programme
• General proficiency in use of IT
• Experience of seismic design
At Jacobs we have recently celebrated 10 years of our culture of caring - ‘BeyondZero’. We see safety differently - we strive to go BeyondZero by putting the health, safety and well-being of our employees first in everything we do.
We are committed to equality across our business and we promote STEM and WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) initiatives. When you join Jacobs you will have access to a wide range of Global Networks, centred on inclusion and diversity. To find out more about our networks, check out our website:
We encourage applications from candidates looking for flexible working or reduced hours’ contracts.
Successful candidates will be asked to complete a Baseline Personnel Security Standard Pre-Employment check and will be required to undergo various checks including: Identity, Right to Work; Employment/Education History and Criminal Record. If you are unable to meet this and any associated criteria, then your employment may be delayed or rejected.
JACOBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer who is committed to the safety and well being of all.
: United Kingdom-United Kingdom Countrywide-Barrow-In-Furness
: Jun 6, 2018, 9:05:43 AM