11 months ago
At Atkins, we help move the world forward, one step at a time. We turn the future of transport into a reality and our transportation team works on the biggest and most challenging projects around. Join us and our training will invigorate your skills. You’ll experience plenty of variety and opportunities to grow your career with an award-winning team. And you’ll enjoy fantastic support and the social side of things too. So, help us deliver all kinds of innovative solutions as we transform potential into reality. This is our time to make a difference.
We have an exciting opportunity to provide technical leadership within the growing Civils North team.
Through recent project successes and significant future workload an opportunity has arisen for a Principal Civil Engineer based in our York or Derby office to play a key role in our railway engineering business.
Atkins is seeking a candidate able to demonstrate a high level of technical capability within the railway civil engineering field, who can lead the technical delivery of civil and structural design projects. You will have a background from within the UK rail sector with a track record of successful delivery and leadership on railway engineering design projects.
The York and Derby Civils teams undertakes a wide range of commissions for a variety of clients, from initial feasibility through to detailed design and implementation support. Typical projects being undertaken at present include linespeed enhancement schemes, electrification projects, re-signalling schemes and the design of new/strengthened bridges to support new railway alignments. Such projects require the team to undertake a range of surveys and produce design drawings, calculations, technical specifications and reports.
• Technical leadership of the York civil engineering team.
• Liaison with clients and capability to discuss technical solutions in the delivery of civil engineering to stakeholders – both at tender stage and during project delivery.
• Lead, develop and review civil engineering designs and input into complex, multi-disciplinary projects.
• Act as Contractor’s Responsible Engineer during the delivery of the civil engineering aspects of Network Rail projects.
• Delivery of civil engineering outputs to meet client expectations.
• Mentor and develop other engineers in their technical capability and understanding.
• Experience of acting as Civil Engineering Contractor’s Responsible Engineer (CRE) on multidisciplinary projects undertaken for Network Rail.
• Chartered membership of a relevant professional body, such as the Institution of Civil Engineers.
• Track record of design delivery for Network Rail projects.
• Intimate knowledge of Network Rail’s GRIP process and the various deliverables required at each stage.
• Ability to lead the technical delivery of civil engineering projects and of the civil engineering aspects of complex, multi-disciplinary projects.
• Fluency with relevant civil engineering design standards (including Eurocodes).
• Capable of leading design and project teams, mentoring and supporting colleagues in technical engineering and design excellence, taking ownership of the work delivered by the team.
• Experience of supporting the bidding process, both internally and client facing.
We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations.
Please refer to our website for full details of our benefits package, which includes the opportunity to purchase up to 15 days additional annual leave per year on top of our standard 25 days paid annual leave.
Atkins develops individuals through a tailored portfolio of training and development courses designed to help successful candidates make the best of their abilities and talents.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.