11 months ago
This role is based at our International Design Hub in Birmingham. This multi-disciplinary office with over 200 engineering staff provides solutions to our clients right across the globe as well as supporting national and local UK clients. Some of the work that our teams are currently working on include, HS2, Highways England CDF, Area 13 and 14 schemes, Sydney term maintenance contract designs, and Gloucestershire and Staffordshire local highway improvements, including the award-winning Staffordshire Western Access Route.
However, it’s not all work and we have a good social team to arrange out of hours’ activities and we also give our staff one day off per year to support local charities / community events.
Our IDH is located across two floors in the Colmore Building right in the heart of Birmingham’s business district, ensuring excellent connections and a wealth of amenities. The building has many benefits for our employees, including gym access, in house coffee shop, secure cycling parking and changing facilities.
Your role will be to lead a Highways design team producing cost effective carriageway and footway rehabilitation designs on our Birmingham contract.
Lead a design team to ensure:
* Delivery of all the specified project outcomes on time, within budget and to the client’s specifications
* Project requirements and are fully met
* Advice and guidance is provided for staff, and professional development is actively pursued
* Good relationships are maintained with all external parties to enhance the reputation of the company
What makes this role unique?
You will ensure that technically sound design solutions are produced, including all associated reporting and cost estimating, to programme and within budget and ensure compliance with all relevant technical standards.
What will this role involve?
* Develop effective design solutions that are consistent with the briefs developed from the survey data
* Undertake a wide range of design work on all aspects of the functions design and maintenance
* Implement effective, value for money and innovative design solutions to meet technical and project requirements
* Maintain high technical standards, consistent with the project brief
* Progress projects through preliminary and detailed design with particular emphasis on client requirements and innovation
* Liaise with clients (both internal and external) and ensure their requirements are effectively communicated to the team
* Prepare and check engineering designs, calculations, and oversee drawing production
* Prepare and check contract documents and scheme cost estimates
* Prepare and check technical documents and reports and assist in the preparation of expressions of interest and tenders
* Ensure compliance with relevant health, safety and environmental legislation, particularly the CDM Regulations
* Supervise team members including all engineers, senior engineers, senior technicians and assistant and graduate engineers
* Assist with project planning and programming
* Project administration reporting to the Project Manager including monitoring programme delivery, resources and budgets Inspection work, feasibility studies, cost estimating for works and fees
* Effective management and response of project related correspondence
* Undertake site supervision duties of contractors and when required
•Check to ensure compliance with the Integrated Management System and assist in its development
•Support Consulting in the preparation of bids and delivery of services on other contracts
What are we looking for?
* Chartered Engineer
* Thorough knowledge & experience of relevant highways technical standards
* Computer literate and conversant with relevant engineering software packages
* Knowledge of current Health and Safety Legislation and CDM Regulations
* High personal standards
* Significant post-qualification experience in Highways design
* Good experience of the co-ordination of the design process and team management
* Client focused approach to service delivery
* Good communication skills and the ability to work within a small team and have a dedicated approach to working within and meeting strict deadlines
* Good communication skills dealing with clients, developers, consultants, elected representatives and the public