4 months ago
About the Role
At WSP, you’ll find yourself challenged in more fascinating and far-reaching ways than ever before. You’ll explore new and inspiring opportunities to make the most of your expertise, broaden your professional horizons and create exciting new possibilities for people, organisations’ and society in general.
We are seeking an experienced Principal Bridge Engineer to join our team as the Structural Technical Lead in supervising and managing the construction of the A120 Little Hadham Bypass and Flood Alleviation Scheme. This is an opportunity for an experienced Bridge Engineer to play a key role on a significant construction project. In addition to the major projects, we work locally in Hertford on Bridge Management, Integrated Transport Projects, Development Management, and Transport Planning.
WSP are working with Hertfordshire County Council as a single, integrated team called the ‘Whole Client Service’. This truly collaborative approach sees WSP and Hertfordshire colleagues working side by side to collectively deliver the full highways service to local communities.
A typical week would include:
* Provide leadership and guidance to the project team expected to include three other structural engineers
* Work collaboratively with the Contract Manager and Project Manager to identify and resolve technical issues
* Exercise independent judgement and resolve technical issues locally where possible before escalation
* Manage processes to ensure technical issues and risks are resolved in a timely and cost-effective manner
* Manage and communicate with identified stakeholders on technical issues, including the Environment Agency, local and remote technical and support teams, political representatives, etc.
We’d love to hear from you if you have:
* A professional experience in design and construction management of bridge projects
* A degree in Civil Engineering, or equivalent
* Chartered Membership in a relevant discipline
* Recent, demonstrable experience in conducting design of highway structures in various materials using Eurocodes and in management of the technical aspects of construction
* Demonstrable experience of successfully leading a team and managing stakeholders
* Knowledge of contractual aspects of bridge construction
* Ability to work independently with sound judgement
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills and experience of stakeholder management
* Effective time management and strong organisational skills.
What if we can?
What if we can have work-life balance? What if we can be rewarded in ways that support our individual needs? What if we can be accepted for who we are? Here at WSP – we can!
WSP recognizes that work is only one part of our lives and making time for the other things in our life is important – be that our families, our friends or ourselves. So, if working from home, working part-time or having flexible start and finish time will help with this let us know as part of your application.
As well as rewarding you with competitive pay, WSP offers standard benefits including a 37.5 hour working week, 25 days annual leave, pension schemes, life assurance, personal accident cover and paid professional subscriptions, and some not so standard benefits as part of our flexible benefits scheme – so if you would like to hop on a new bike (cycle to work scheme) or thrill the family with your Lego building skills (Discount at Legoland Windsor) – WSP can help!
Be you, be happy - we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximizes the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring. Our VIBE (LGBT + employee network) and PLEDGE (Promoting Leadership, Encouraging Diversity & Gender Equality) networks work with the business to help ensure we continue to promote the right environment to enable LGBT+ and female employees to reach their full potential, and to ensure we continue to promote equality, inclusivity and diversity for everyone.
Here at WSP we positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy or maternity/paternity. We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria.
In addition we support our people to achieve their personal health and well-being goals through our Thrive programme.
A little about us:
Together, our people make up one of the world's leading engineering professional services consulting firms. We’re dedicated to the communities where we live and work in the UK and propelled by international brainpower. Staying curious is what drives us. Looking at challenges from fresh angles helps us deliver future-ready solutions that break paradigms.
With around 7,900 talented people in 70+ offices across the UK, and 43,000 around the world, we engineer projects that will help societies grow for lifetimes to come.