about 1 month ago
Preconstruction Director - Mechanical
The primary objective of this position is to manage the process and resources that provide quality pre-construction services to both internal and external clients, and review the progress of existing projects to ensure their completion within the parameters of the established project budget. This position reports to and receives direction from the VP of Preconstruction.
What You'll do:
• Ensure overall responsibility for accuracy and completeness of Total Project Estimate;
• Conduct initial analysis of drawings and specifications to ensure required documentation is complete and available for Project Cost Estimate;
• Attend pre-construction meetings; organize kick-off meeting and provide kick-off sheet meeting minutes to estimating staff to begin the estimating process;
• Coordinate document distribution to estimating team through technical assistant staff to ensure proper dissemination and coordination of information that affects overall estimate;
• Solicit specific project pricing from vendors and/or sub-contractors; obtain building permit quotes through appropriate agency;
• Coordinate and participate in quantity survey and detailed pricing for all disciplines; coordinate resource requirements with VP Estimating;
• Develop key vendor list as directed by VP to ensure database of subcontractors and suppliers is current;
• Develop cost format that facilitates owner’s needs for information using company selected software (i.e. Excel, Timberline);
• Monitor the time and cost of estimating assignments to ensure internal departmental costs are accurately managed;
• Coordinate administrative assistants with filing of drawings and correspondence for each project;
• Provide detailed general condition estimates and coordinate with operation personnel when required to support cost estimates;
• Coordinate estimates for the cost of estimating department man hours in response to RFP’s for preconstruction service;
• Provide benchmarking material for all projects;
• Manage time and cost of pre-construction services based on budget quoted by VP or Operations;
• Conduct annual employee evaluations of estimating staff as requested by VP and in conjunction with the guidelines provided by Human Resources;
• Participate in Business Development pursuits and presentations.
We're Looking For:
• Computer knowledge and efficiency, including Microsoft Office products;
• Thorough understanding of industry;
• Strong written and verbal communication skills;
• Good math/accounting skills;
• Strong management skills;
• Functions effectively as part of a team;
• Ability to develop or maintain relationships with clients;
• Exhibits strong leadership qualities;
• Ability to maintain discretion and confidentiality at all times;
• Excellent time management and organizational skills;
• Strong decision making/problem solving skills.
Education and/or Experience
• Bachelor’s Degree – Construction Management, Engineering or equivalent;
• 7 to 10 years of industry experience.
Skanska is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to status as a protected veteran or a qualified individual with a disability, or other protected status, such as race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or age
Skanska USA is one of the largest, most financially sound construction and development companies in the U.S., serving a broad range of clients including those in transportation, power, industrial, water/wastewater, healthcare, education, sports, data centers, government, aviation and commercial. Headquartered in New York with offices in 31 metro areas, we have more than 11,000 employees committed to being leaders in safety, project execution, sustainability, ethics and people development. In 2015, our work in building construction, civil and power/industrial construction, commercial development and infrastructure development (public-private partnerships) generated $7.1 billion in revenue. Global revenue of parent company Skanska AB, headquartered in Stockholm and listed on the Stockholm Stock Exchange, totaled $18.4 billion in 2015. Skanska shares are publicly traded in the U.S. on the OTC market under the symbol SKBSY through a Level I American Depository Receipt program. We are proud to be named one of America's Best Employers of 2016 by Forbes.