3 months ago
QinetiQ comprises teams of dedicated people; experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets. We draw on our extensive technical knowledge and intellectual property to provide the know-how and support to solve some of the world’s most challenging problems. Our people make the critical difference to customers by providing unique approaches to problem solving. Why don’t you join some of the world’s finest scientific and technical minds and help us make tomorrow work today?
Job description/Person specification
In response to the market potential and increased customer traction, QinetiQ is growing its Power Sources capability through investment in both our people and the related facilities. Our scope includes testing, advice, R&D and IP generation and we have a Battery test and assessment centre which is the primary support to the MoD Engineering arm responsible for advice and specification of batteries across the MoD Equipment.
We test all types of batteries both within and outside manufacturers’ specifications, with test durations lasting from a few seconds through to multiple years.
The applicant, although based in Farnborough, must be willing to travel on regular basis to our Sevenoaks facility for approximately a year, to integrate and train with the existing team. Travel and work at other QinetiQ sites will also be required.
Working as part of a small team of electrical and mechanical engineers, material scientists and chemists engaged in the test and evaluation of currently used batteries and power sources as well as those under development, you will be responsible for the management and scheduling of battery test programs to be completed in the laboratories.
The Role will require some experience in the use and maintenance activities across a broad range of electronics/electrical equipment, instrumentation and control systems including power electronics and environmental test systems. This also includes providing support to the Laboratory Manager through attendance at management meetings.
• Assist in the management of a suite of mechanical, electrical and environmental test capabilities and laboratories required for delivering the UK MoD support contract and for other Government Departments, reporting to the Laboratory Manager, Technical lead and the Contract Project Manager
• Provide electronic and electrical support to this facility
• Liaise with the Technical Leads on test direction and test requirements for battery and power sources
• Fault finding, diagnosis and maintenance of electronic and electrical systems
• Preparation & maintenance of documentation for safety and risk
• Support customer events – demonstrations and trials
• Assist in the planning and budgeting of maintenance and facility upgrades
• Train & supervise other members of staff in the team
• Perform and report on tests undertaken on batteries and power systems
• Preparation & maintenance of documentation for safety and risk
• Operate all facility equipment (appropriate training will be provided)
• Assistance for battery trials at other sites will be required
• May be required to carry out other secondary roles as part of the Battery test facility e.g., acting as the Building Incident Officer, etc.
• Electronics/Electrical Engineering to NVQ level 4/HNC/HND (or equivalent) or higher, or suitable experience (evidence required)
• Possess a working knowledge of electrical and electronic equipment and systems
• Have a good working knowledge of instrumentation and data acquisition equipment (preferably data links and equipment interfaces, temperature and acceleration transducers and test equipment).
• Ability to interpret electronic and electrical drawings.
• Capable of using computers and common software packages, in particular, Microsoft Office Word and Excel (training could be provided).
• You will be highly proficient in the use of the English language, both written and oral
• A keen interest in Battery, Environmental and Electrical Engineering.
• A self-starter with drive for performance and completion of tasks
• Ability to lead and delegate tasks to junior team members
• Show initiative and willingness to learn new skills - be adaptable to changes
• Candour and openness, in order to debate engineering solutions within the team and subsequently agree the optimum solution.
• Honesty and transparency - willingness to admit to mistakes in order for the team and wider to learn from them
• Ability to work together with team members and external stakeholders; a good communicator
• Safety conscious; adhere to QinetiQ Health and Safety policy and working procedures
• Abide by QinetiQ’s and their customer’s security and non-disclosure agreements
• As a QinetiQ professional, is able to present a good impression when customers visit facility (may have direct interactions with customers and clients)
• Willingness to assist and visit other teams and sites, work together
• Excellent communication and presentation skills
Requirements of the role
• A strong, demonstrable ability to undertake 'hands-on' tasks from application of first principles through to diagnosing electrical and electronic test issues. You will be able to confidently act and implement prompt, effective and safe repair schemes.
• Capable of working at heights and in enclosed spaces and on occasions outside
• Some knowledge and experience of PLCs and microcontrollers - their maintenance and programming
• General/broad knowledge and experience of electrical test and distributed control and closed-loop control systems.
• A sound working knowledge of environmental test engineering
• Possess some knowledge of power electronics.
• Familiarity with safe systems of work including the issue and receipt of permits to work
• Knowledge and experience of planned maintenance systems
• Knowledge of electrical working regulations to BS7671
• Knowledge of Health and Safety practices and general maintenance principles.
The role requires the successful candidate to gain SC security clearance - normally requires residency in the UK for a minimum of 5 years, regardless of nationality.
The candidate must be willing to travel to Sevenoaks, Kent, over a period of approximately 1 year as the new facility at Farnborough, Hampshire, is completed.
QinetiQ offers flexible working hours over a 37 hour standard week
25 days ago
only 4 days until close
18 days ago
only 10 days until close
12 days ago
only 16 days until close
only 26 days until close