4 months ago
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood Nuclear are currently recruiting a Polymer Scientist to join their consultancy business. The majority of work will be in Gloucester with some visits to the North West and various nuclear sites.
* As part of a team, you will participate in lifetime extension and ageing test programmes for seals and polymers used within the nuclear industry. This will involve the development and implementation of test procedures to determine ageing mechanisms and lifetime of components and sub-assemblies.
* A strong emphasis will be placed on lab-based working. This will typically involve mechanical properties testing, thermal analysis and chemical characterisation of polymeric materials.
* Authoring of technical reports detailing the findings of test programmes.
* Specification of replacement polymers and seals.
* Based within a team at our client’s premises in Gloucester, you will become integrated into their culture and philosophy.
* Supporting the business management team in growing future workload.
* Regular trips to the North-west (Birchwood) to understand capability and skills within the business as well as development of skills.
* Acting responsibly, safely, and in line with Wood Culture and Values.
Skills / Qualifications
* A polymer science or materials science degree or relevant industrial experience working with polymeric materials.
* An understanding of polymers, elastomers and rubbers from both a theoretical and a practical viewpoint and an appreciation of most groups of polymers, elastomers and rubbers used in industry.
* Experience in running standard characterisation techniques for polymeric materials and interpretation of test results. For example, DSC, TGA, FT-IR, tensile testing, hardness testing and microscopy).
* An understanding of polymer degradation and practical failure modes due to radiation (both nuclear and UV), wear and chemical compatibility in a variety of process environments.
* Able to participate in materials lifetime reviews.
* An appreciation of the manufacture, processing and specifying these materials.
* Experience of writing technical documents.
* The successful candidate will have the opportunity to develop their skills, ultimately acting as a technical expert in the field of polymers providing accurate, technical and scientific advice to engineers and designers
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of around $10 billion. We provide performance driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, power & process, environment and infrastructure, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.