about 1 year ago
£Competitive salary DOE + Flexible Benefits, Bonus, Flexible Working Hours, 25 days' holiday + day off on birthday
Tell me about OVO…
Love programming? Want to build great software, using leading edge technologies, with smart, passionate people?
The energy industry is changing, and technology is at the forefront of innovations that will transform it forever.
At OVO, technology and digital products are at the heart of our customer experience and they are key to our commercial success.
We were the first energy company to offer our Pay As You Go customers the opportunity to top up using their phone, the first company to offer real time electricity and gas usage data, and the first to release an apple watch App. We’ve been featured in Wired magazine for our ability to develop software to shatter the status quo.
But we’re just getting started.
We need to develop, test, and release software that scales, quickly and reliably. Over the last few years, we’ve built a highly skilled team of software engineers that is making a real impact to our business, and shaking up our industry.
We care about code quality, test automation and continuous delivery. Our developers drive our technology choices and own the software they create from their laptop all the way through to production. We’re building a better energy company, and we’re doing it one Git commit at a time.
See what we are up to @OVOTechTeam or visit our blog at tech.ovoenergy.com
Where in the world of OVO will I be working and what will I be doing?
* Working in an Agile team of like-minded technologists, delivering end-to-end solutions that will allow OVO to scale its processes.
* Working closely with the product owner and the team’s stakeholders to identify automation opportunities.
* Owning the full software lifecycle, from inception and design through to implementation and delivery.
* Delivering solutions to stakeholders iteratively and responding to feedback.
That sounds super exciting, but… Do I have what it takes?
* A high-quality engineer holding a previous job title of “Senior Engineer”, “Technical Lead”, “Lead Developer” or similar.
* A well-versed polyglot with experience of shipping full-stack solutions, across a broad technical landscape.
* Able to work with minimal technical guidance. You will have to be a self-starter.
* A great communicator, both written and verbal.
* Able to work closely with stakeholders in order to drive out requirements and deliver the best solution possible with the least amount of disruption.
Ideally you will have…
* Proven software design and architecture ability, with an awareness of back-end integration patterns and non-functional requirements.
* Demonstrated ability in software development across a broad range of technologies, including some of the following: Java, Go, Python, Scala.
* Experience of cloud infrastructure (e.g. GCP or AWS) and containerisation (e.g. Docker).
* Strong relational database experience, with knowledge of SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL or PostgreSQL.
* A keen eye for identifying operational inefficiencies, closing gaps, spotting risks and identifying dependencies.
* Sunday Times' top 20 list of the best companies to work for
* The opportunity to get involved with conferences, meet-ups, hackathons, tech talks and teaching kids to code
* A clearly defined career path
* Open plan office in central Bristol
* Free breakfast every day + half price Friska
* Lots of social events
* Training budget
* Discounted gym membership
* Matched volunteering and matched fundraising