about 1 month ago
Salary: £30,782 - £36,459 (dependent upon qualifications and experience and inclusive of annual allowance)
Contract Type: Open-Ended
Hours: Full Time
Closing Date: 19th May 2019
ISIS is an existing facility built to serve the UK and international scientific community. The facility is made from a series of complex magnetic and electrical equipment used to generate and direct a proton beam to a heavy metal target to produce neutrons. The majority of this equipment is water cooled. We have a programme of both upgrade and new cooling plant installations. There is a requirement within the Plant Design section for an additional Plant Design Engineer.
You will have experience in specifying and scoping multi-KW water cooling systems.
The position will be working in the ISIS Design Division, based at Rutherford Appleton Laboratory. The division is made up of some 60 design engineers. The Plant Design section is a small team within this division dedicated to water plant related projects.
The Plant Design Engineer will lead the design of major upgrades to the water plant, as well as managing, tendering, procurement and delivery of approved designs, directing the commissioning stage and eventual handover to operational staff.
You will also be responsible for liaising with a broad range of internal staff, including scientists and fellow engineers, as well as international stakeholders. Subsequently the role may require occasional UK and international travel.
Duties will include:
* responsibility for the design of upgrade water plant within ISIS
* managing tendering, procurement and delivery of approved designs
* project management to the STFC and ISIS approved methodologies.
UK Research and Innovation is a new entity that brings together nine partners to create an independent organisation with a strong voice for research and innovation, and a vision to ensure the UK maintains its world-leading position in research and innovation.
The Science and Technology Facilities Council is a world-leading multi-disciplinary science organisation, and our goal is to deliver economic, societal, scientific and international benefits to the UK and its people – and more broadly to the world.
* degree or HNC in Mechanical Engineering with a proven experience designing water plants
* able to carry out flow and pressure drop calculations
* heat exchanger sizing calculations
* use of AutoCAD to generate plant layout drawings and P&IDs
* knowledge of different pipework systems and techniques
* knowledge of chilled water/demineralised water system design.
* Mechanical Engineering background with proven experience in designing/specifying water plant.
* de-ionised water plant
* chilled water plant design
* material selection
* efficiency in plant design
* flow and pressure drop calculations
* heat exchanger design calculations
* generate plant layout drawings using Plant 3D version 2018 including P&ID generation
* control and instrumentation understanding
* experience of piping manufacturing and installation techniques
* a good working knowledge of British and European standards.
* AutoCAD skills using Plant 3D version 2018
* MS Project, PowerPoint, Word and Excel
* good written and oral communication skills with staff at all levels
* strong self-motivation
* demonstrate the ability to work effectively, independently and as part of a team
* focused on delivering working, high quality solutions to meet project objectives.
* HND or degree qualified or equivalent
* previous design experience within a similar sized facility
* project management of projects up to £150k in value (responsible for time/cost/scope control)
* experience for design and installation under CDM regulations
* experience of water cooling in ionising radiation environments.
* additional plant design experience such as ventilation and compressed gases.
UKRI supports research in areas that include animal health, agriculture and food security, and bioscience for health which includes research on animals, genetic modification and stem cell research. Whilst you may not have direct involvement in this type of research, you should consider whether this conflicts with your personal values or beliefs.
To enable us to hire the very best people we will conduct a full and comprehensive pre-employment check as an essential part of the recruitment process on all individuals that are offered a position with UKRI. This will include a security check and an extreme organisations affiliation check.
UK Research and Innovation recognises and values employees as individuals and aim to provide a pay and rewards package that motivates staff to perform to the best of their ability. The reward package includes a flexible working scheme, a Career Average Revalued Earnings pension scheme, 30 days annual leave allowance and a number of other benefits.
We are committed to developing employees in their roles throughout their career. Learning and development plans enable employees to continue their professional development through training and development opportunities such as e-learning, classroom training and on-the-job experiences. We encourage our employees to share their learning across teams and organisations.
We strive to make decisions based on individual merit and ability. We welcome applications from all sections of the community and promote equality of opportunity in accordance with the Equality Act 2010. As holders of Disability Confident Employer status, we guarantee to interview all applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum criteria for the vacancy.
As this job does not fulfil the Home Office Code of Practice criterion for obtaining sponsored migrant worker status we will be unable to apply for sponsorship for anyone not eligible to work in the UK. At interview, all shortlisted candidates are required to bring with them identification documents and original documents that prove they hold or can obtain the right to work in the UK.
Online applications only. Please submit a covering letter and CV ensuring that the IRC reference is included in the filename description of each document uploaded. Please note that failure to address the above criteria or submitted without a covering letter may result in your application not being considered.
The closing date for applications is 19th May 2019, however early applications are encouraged as applicants will be reviewed and considered on an on-going basis.
If you would like to receive this advert in an alternative format (e.g. large print, Braille, audio or hard copy), are unable to apply online or do not wish to create an account but would still like to apply for a specific role, please contact us by telephone.
If you have not already logged into iRecruitment (including as a current employee) you will be re-directed to the login/register page by clicking the "apply now" button. If you don't have an account with us, by choosing to register you consent to UK SBS processing the information you provide as part of the Recruitment Service. You can select appropriate job alerts and notifications as part of your account preferences, and you are able to close your account (withdraw consent) should you wish to do so. Before starting your online application and inputting your personal details, please read our Privacy Notice which contains full details of how your information is processed once you have made an application.