8 months ago
Job number: UK11833
Company/Division: Gas & Water
Career area: Planning & Scheduling
Region/State: North West
Position type: Full Time
Job type: Permanent
About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Planner to join our Gas & Water business unit to work in Worsley, Manchester. You will be working on our Gas Distribution Strategic Partnerships (GDSP) gas main renewal contract. This is a high volume role where you would be planning for up to 10 smaller projects with values of £20k to £200k.
While experience of planning within gas main renewal would be ideal we are open to applicants from different sectors with strong Primavera P6 skills. Manipulation and presentation of data for key stakeholders will be an essential part of this role so we are seeking planners who are confident in the use of Microsoft Excel.
What you'll be doing
As a Planner, you will:
Reporting to the Planning Manager, responsible at tender stage for the range of activities involved in the project planning life cycle, which includes:
* Ensuring that the programme content is functionally compliant with the planning procedures and guidance
* Establishing and agreeing with Operations key methods of construction, sequencing, installation and commissioning
* Producing and documenting the planning deliverables including programmes, planning philosophy, presentations and reports
* Developing overall programmes, issuing to all parties for review and implementing recommendations, innovation and best practice as applicable
* Interfacing with third parties to identify and resolve issues
In addition to the above, at contract stage the Planner is responsible for:
* Ensuring that the Contract Programme is produced, managed and maintained in accordance with the planning procedures
* The overall planning strategy and the timing & sequence of the Contract Programme activities
* The issue and communication of the Contract Programme to the Project Lead for onward issue to Client and Project Team
* Ensuring that all other project planning and programming necessary for the execution of the contract is properly undertaken
* Set up appropriate lean visual programme to assist the Project Team to timely deliver projects and improve productivity, performance and safety of projects
* Ensuring all reporting requirements are accurately captured
Who we're looking for
* Experience across all stages of the 8 gate life-cycle
* Experience of planning services in small to medium sized projects within the construction industry
* A basic understanding of NEC form of contract
* Understanding of risk and opportunity management with particular reference to planning & programming
* An understanding of the events that initiate, and of the methods used to demonstrate, delay or change & compensation event entitlement
* An understanding of the construction market, methods of construction, plant, equipment and labour requirements.
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
Balfour Beatty’s Gas & Water teams work in the UK and internationally, providing expertise and experience to support a stable and safe supply of these vital services.
Working on long-term, large-scale contracts, we build close, collaborative relationships with our clients. Our teams bring technical knowledge and in-depth industry experience to projects, provide exceptional customer service and introduce innovative approaches to minimise disruption to local residents, businesses and the environment.
Our water operations cover the whole lifecycle of networks, including clean and waste water mains, metering, treatment facilities and other essential infrastructure. Working closely with the supply chain, we employ industry-leading approaches like BIM and offsite construction to bring cost and time efficiencies to projects.
In the gas sector, we work to expand and renew underground mains, often in busy and high-impact residential and commercial areas. We work closely with clients to manage and plan work intelligently in these areas, minimising the impact this essential work has on local communities.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and a member of Stonewall's Diversity Champions programme. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.