about 1 year ago
Title : Physicist
Requisition ID :2018-31122
Work Location :GB-Gloucester, Gloucestershireshire-Gloucester, Gloucestershire
Department / Discipline : Scientists
Position Type : Staff / Permanent
Overview / Responsibilities
It’s a great time for you to join us.
Wood is growing its offices in Gloucester, Gloucestershire and Bristol on the back of significant opportunities in the nuclear new build and existing generation programmes. We are winning new contracts and want you to join our team. We are a professional, friendly and supportive team, who can offer exciting development opportunities across a range of projects. The south west of England is dynamic and thriving environment in which to take your next step in your career.
We’re looking for people
Who have experience or transferrable skills into the nuclear industry or other highly-regulated industries. Whether you’re beginning your career or already operating at a senior level, we’d like to meet with you and discuss the exciting opportunities on offer.
We are a people business
People are at the heart of Woods business. We work together to deliver the best outcomes for our customers and we're united by our values of Care, Commitment and Courage. As we as aspiring tto technical excellence we are passionate about diversity and inclusion: we are members of Women in Science and Engineering (WISE), have signed up to the Armed Forces Covenant and have Mental Health Champions in all our nuclear offices. We also have a technical support network in the nuclear business, through the Head of Profession network. This enables planned progression and support to undertake roles aligned to the current and future nuclear generation assets.
Wood is currently recruiting for a Physicist, ideally with experience in the design & implementation of code used to undertake complex physical modelling calculations. The role will be largely based in the customer premises but as part of a Wood team. The successful candidate will be expected to interface with existing clients and look for opportunities to generate new business. Software skills in a variety of languages including Python and Fortran are a necessary component for this role which will provide excellent opportunities for the development of skills, particularly where these are applied to nuclear engineering. Candidates with experience in other languages, demonstrating the potential to learn Python and Fortran will be considered.
The successful candidate will play an important role in this growing technical workstream over the coming years and mentoring will be provided to ensure that development of skills is appropriately managed throughout the work.
Skills / Qualifications
Skills & Qualifications
* An undergraduate degree in physics, or a related subject
* Knowledge/experience of typical programming languages in use on our customers’ systems (e.g. Fortran, Perl, Csh, Python, C, C++)
* Ability to work effectively with a legacy code base
* A general understanding of the physics of nuclear reactors would be highly beneficial.
* Experience of working in multifunctional teams
* Self-motivated, with an ability and desire to work collaboratively
* Ability to think innovatively and solve complex problems
* Ability to communicate well, both verbally and in writing
* Already has SC status or capable of achieving this.
* A higher degree, or equivalent work experience is highly desirable
* Knowledge/experience of operating in an environment with a graded approach to quality processes
* Experience of UNIX or Linux systems
* Experience or an understanding of software development under an Agile lifecycle
What do you get?
As well as exciting roles on projects in the UK and abroad; in a supportive and professional work environment, these are some of the additional benefits you can expect at Wood:
* A competitive reward package
* Work life balance – We offer flexible working; we have core and flex hours in all our permanent office locations. You can also buy up to an additional week’s holiday and we also have a time off in lieu system. We are also introducing enhanced payment of family friendly benefits – maternity, paternity, adoption and parental leave.
* We are introducing private healthcare for all staff.
* Flexible benefits are also being introduced where you can have access to travel insurance, critical illness cover, dental benefit, childcare vouchers, cycle to scheme and more.
* International opportunities - As an 60,000 strong community of colleagues operating in 60 counties you will have access to international career opportunities.
* For your peace of mind we offer life insurance benefit on top of a contributory pension scheme, as well as group income protection and life assurance benefit.
* To support you throughout your career you will have access to an Employee Assistance programme, which can offer anything from financial advice to mental health support and counselling sessions.
For our communities:
* We give back to our communities, we have a matched funding community investment programme. In our global business our people are showing commitment and courage to care for the communities we operate in. You can do this by supporting causes and raising funds for charities that are important to you, your colleagues and your local area.
JOIN US ON THE JOURNEY
You can also come along to our open event, bring a copy of your CV if possible:
DATE: 6 November 2018
VENUE: Gloucester, Gloucestershire Guildhall (Blue Coat Room)
TIME: 2 - 8pm
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 60,000 people, with revenues of over $10 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets, including the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, power & process, environment and infrastructure, clean energy, mining, nuclear, and general industrial sectors.
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.