20 days ago
Permanent Way Senior Design Engineer
North West and Yorkshire (Manchester/York
Closing Date : 20th November 2020
Weare an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants andtechnical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Throughour work, we make a positive difference in the world.
We are currently seeking a Permanent Way Senior Design Engineer towork with our multidisciplinary design teams delivering a portfolio of variedrail projects as part of an established and expanding Rail Business.
Role - What we're looking for in you
We are looking for aSenior Permanent Way Design Engineer with excellent technical knowledge andexperience as an integral part of our North West & Yorkshire Rail team witha desire to deliver meaningful work with successful outcomes for our clientsthrough innovative solutions.
The role of a SeniorPermanent Way Engineer will be to drive and successfully deliver complexmultidisciplinary rail project using sound technical knowledge and coherentadvisory skills. Ensuring the successful delivery ofsafe, technically excellent multidisciplinary rail projects and bids across ourUK portfolio will be critical to your role, and you will be responsible for:
* Determining the track design requirements from our client brief making sound decisions to produce the optimum design solution.
* Heading Permanent Way Design teams with a culture of delivering right first-time production, checking the required track design drawings, documentation and calculations on large or medium sized projects.
* Liaising with other discipline designers and Engineering leads to ensure multi-discipline designs are fully integrated.
* Running the identification and elimination or mitigation of risks during the design process within your own discipline, and the production of deliverables that support the Safe by Design process, producing focussed CDM designer’s risk assessments;
* Contributing to the Common Safety Method (CSM) process
* Sharing knowledge, best practice and innovation across our business, providing guidance, training and feedback with other related disciplines and skills, locally and across the UK.
* Managing project team resources and identifying opportunities and issues in a timely manner such that programme timescales are met or exceeded.
* Mentoring and supporting of our junior engineers and technicians assisting in their technical development and their progress towards a professional qualification.
Our current portfolio of multidisciplinary projects across various GRIPStages include; Transpennine Route Upgrade West of Leeds, Headbolt Lane NewStation, Princes Risborough to Aylesbury, Midland Main Line Electrification,and Portobello Junction LDO.
You will report to the NWY Rail Track Team Leaderand Rail Business Leadership where required.
The role may necessitate travel on occasion toother office locations including York and Manchester, as well as our other UKRail Offices where collaboration with our other UK Rail delivery teams is a keypart of your role.
Essential Skills and Knowledge
* Experience in the production and checking of Permanent Way Feasibility, Scheme and Detailed Design reports, layouts and calculations within multidisciplinary rail projects to include, but not limited to, Station throat design; S&C renewal; Plain line renewal; Infrastructure gauging and production of Gauging Reports
* Experience in the use of industry standard software in the production of design packages to include, but not limited to, Bentley Rail Track; Clear Route 2; Track-Ex; SD calculator
* Experience in the production and checking of drawings using Bentley Microstation whilst working within Common Data Environments
* Experience of and working within relevant legislation, regulations, standards, codes of practice and guidelines (CDM and CSM)
* Knowledge of Network Rail Company Standards, RSSB Railway Industry Standards and Technical Specifications for Interoperability
Desirable Skills and Knowledge
* Experience of LUL, High Speed Rail, Light Rail Transit and Metro systems
* Experience of acting as a Permanent Way Contractor’s Responsible Engineer (CRE)
* Experience in specifying and undertaking site surveys / site visits and reporting on asset condition.
* Knowledge of non-ballasted and other track systems.
* Experience of digital, coding and data analytics techniques
Technical Skills and Qualifications
* An appropriate Engineering degree or equivalent qualification
* Achieved or soon to achieve professional qualification
Reward and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary at alllevels and one of the best benefits packages in our sector.
Core benefits including privatehealthcare and a range of other protection schemes are funded by Arup and made availableto all permanent staff in order to support and safeguard your financial,physical and mental wellbeing.
Shape your time with us
Our goal is to shape a better world.And to do that, we need to make Arup a phenomenal place to work for everyone. Ifwe want to solve problems for people around the world, we must seek and attractthe best people from the widest talent pool and create an environment thatsupports and includes them. We aim to encourage a culture where people can bethemselves and be valued for their contribution. This includes people withdisabilities so please discuss any adjustments that you may require throughoutthe selection and assessment process with your recruitment contact.
At Arup, you’ll be an encouraged memberof the team with opportunities to participate in cultural and social eventswith the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador) or by joining one of ourstaff networks for women, culture or LGBT+ people. You’ll have access to arange of flexible working options – whether you’re a parent, a carer, astudent, or just have a busy lifestyle - we recognise it’s not always easy tocommit to standard working hours so if you're interested in flexible start andfinish times, working from home or working part-time, please let us know whenyou apply, and we'll discuss how this could work in your role.
Join us in shaping a better world.
We are an Equal Employment Opportunity(EEO) employer and welcome all qualified applicants. You will receive fair andimpartial consideration without regard to sex, race, religion, national origin,age, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, genetic data, or otherlegally protected status. We recognise that not all disabilities are visibleand will make reasonable adjustments to cater for diverse applicants in theselection and assessment process.
What happens next?
If this could be the next step in yourjourney, please apply online. All applications will be considered, and we willtry our very best to respond to you within 72 hours of receiving yourapplication.