4 months ago
Payload Systems Models and Digital Transformation Leader
Airbus Defence and Space Ltd.
Airbus is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2018 it generated revenues of 64 billion and employed a workforce of around 134,000. Airbus offers the most comprehensive range of passenger airliners. Airbus is also a Europeanleader providing tanker, combat, transport and mission aircraft, as well as one of the world's leading space companies. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions worldwide.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
Description of the job
A vacancy for a Payload Systems Models and Digital Transformation Leader has arisen within Airbus Defence & Space in Portsmouth. The successful applicant will join our Payload Systems Engineering team within the Telecom Payload group.
The objective of the role is to structure the use of software tools within Payload System Engineering, to define the roadmap for new developments, to manage the resources, and lead engineers involved in this activity. It is also to own the roadmap for the operational tool and to represent the Payload System Engineering department at the level of the Airbus DDMS and DTO community.
The Telecom Payload System Engineering team is a centre of competence gathering expertise in RF Systems; Electrical Systems; Mechanical & Thermal Systems and EMC.
The team provides engineering support to the Portsmouth-based Telecom Payload Team.
In addition to involvement in the delivery of Telecom payloads flying on Eurostar platforms (E3000 or Eurostar Neo); the team is also involved in the delivery of payload flying on third party platforms.
The team supports firm work but also studies, R&D and proposals.
PAYLOAD SYSTEMS MODELLING
As part of the role delivered by the System Engineering team, engineers are required to develop representative software simulation models for various purposes including for instance:
- End-to-end telecom systems
- Performance prediction of telecom payloads
- Simulation of advanced subsystems.
The purpose of these models is to assist the payload and subsystem design activities, to validate the solutions proposed, and to predict the performance.
The team currently relies on various tools: some standard OTS software products are used (Matlab Simulink; Keysight ADS; HTS; SystemVue; Microwave Office; Ticra Satsoft; STK; etc.) and the team also relies on internally developed solutions.
DIGITAL TRANSFORMATION CHAMPION
In addition to the modelling tools, the team also routinely uses tools designed to support operations, in particular for the generation of performance predictions; for the processing and review of payload performance measurements and for the management of the datasets associated to payload equipment. As part of the Airbus Digital Transformation, these tools are evolving and are in the process of being migrated within a Division-wide solution referred to as ‘DDMS@SpS’ (Digital Design Manufacturing for Space Systems).
The successful applicant will be subject to UK Security Clearance in order to undertake related work in accordance with business needs.
Tasks & accountabilities
Your main tasks and responsibilities will include:
Manage new and existing software modelling tools
• As used by the various teams within Payload System Engineering
• Provide technical support to projects, proposals and R&D activities
• Make sure all development is carried-out in adherence with standard / defined processes, and that documentation associated with the tools and models developed is kept up to date
• Lead new models development; manage obsolescence and maintenance of existing tools
Define the development roadmap
• Structure / standardise the approach adopted across projects
• Identify potential new requirements (in discussion with other key players)
• Integrate the department’s roadmap with the DTO / Airbus DS DDMS initiatives
Lead the ‘system modelling pool’ of allocated engineers
• It is not anticipated that the role will involve direct reports but the leader is responsible for the coordination of the workload across the team members assigned to development activities (team members will be assigned full time or part time)
Understand or interpret projects’ requirements
• In line with the emergence of new payload architectures requiring the modelling of new subsystems for which the existing standard modelling tools are not suitable (multi-port amplifiers; processors; active antenna; etc.).
Represent the Payload System Department and liaise with other engineering groups for digitalisation and modelling – including for instance
• Airbus Central Engineering software team (TESO): with software developers working on S^3 and OASIS and software developers working on TRAC suite
• Airbus DS Digital Transformation Office (DTO) and in particular the Space System DDMS team (former ‘Odyssey 4.0’)
• Support proposal activities and contribute to R&D / studies as and when required
• Occasionally, the role might require first hand involvement in the generation of RF analysis of payload performance; the compilation of written reports or analysis documentation and possibly the presentation of the analysis data to the customer (in the context of customers’ gate reviews: PDR; BDR; CDR; etc.)
This role will involve travel for business and as such you must be able to travel accordingly.
This job requires an awareness of any potential compliance risks and a commitment to act with integrity, as the foundation for the company's success, reputation and sustainable growth.
We are looking for candidates with the following skills and experience:
A degree in Telecommunications; Electrical, Electronic engineering, mathematics or physics
Desirable: RF/microwave/radio communications content in academic background
- Extended experience with modelling software used in the context of RF Systems design / RF systems performance analysis – such as Matlab /Simulink; ADS; C/C++; Java; etc. and/or any other relevant tool
- Microwave / high frequency RF engineering
- Knowledge of Satellite Communications systems
- An understanding of equipment fitted to the Satellite payload such as receivers, converters, amplifiers, waveguides and antennas
- Modulation and coding schemes
Skills and attributes
- Ability to lead a team within a complex multiple stakeholders’ environment
- Demonstrable verbal and written communication skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Capable of working autonomously against tight deadlines (typical example: proposals support)
In return we can offer a competitive salary with annual profit ; an ever growing list of company benefits and strong career development options across our transnational, market leading company.
Many of our staff work flexibly in many different ways, including part-time. Please talk to us at interview about the flexibility you need. We can’t promise to give you exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking.
We value the strength that diverse perspectives bring to our business; if you require any reasonable adjustments to fully participate in the recruitment process please discuss this with the Recruitment Business Partner who contacts you.