11 months ago
Requisition ID :2019-61119
Work Location :GB-Yorkshire-Leeds
Department / Discipline : Environmental
Additional Work Location : GB-Yorkshire-Leeds
Position Type : Staff / Permanent
Additional Work Locations
Market / Sector (Candidate Portal Searching)
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood are seeking a reliable and highly motivated individual to join our ornithology team. This is an ideal opportunity for recent graduates or junior ecologists to obtain highly sought-after industry experience within a global, multi-disciplinary company. This role will provide an excellent step on the consultancy ladder for the right candidate who wishes to progress with a career in ecology.
Our long established but still growing team of over 70 ecologists (including 17 ornithologists) delivers high quality ecological services on complex projects in a variety of sectors including transport, renewables, nuclear, other power, waste, minerals and property. We are currently looking for a talented candidate to support on our major infrastructure projects based out of our Leeds office.
More experienced candidates will be considered for a Consultant level role.
Wood offers an excellent salary package, including a company car, as well as a tailored training programme and great opportunities for career progression.
You will work closely with other ornithology team members and with colleagues in the wider ecology team and other technical disciplines to help deliver surveys to a high standard for clients. You will undertake a broad range of ornithological survey work and have the opportunity to assist with reporting. The role will include:
* undertaking bird surveys across a variety of habitats and locations;
* the digitization and management of datasets using GIS;
* assisting with data analysis and the production of baseline reports.
There will also be the opportunity to assist the wider ecology team with protected species surveys.
You will be paired with a mentor within the ornithology team who will provide advice and support and there will be unique opportunities to develop and progress your career.
Skills / Qualifications
Wood is looking for high-quality individuals who have an interest in ornithology. The ideal candidate will possess:
* Willingness and eagerness to learn about ornithology and wildlife legislation;
* Good bird identification skills and a sound knowledge base of bird ecology;
* Ability to work well within a team;
* Aptitude to show initiative;
* Reliability, flexibility, and a willingness to work unsociable hours and at remote site locations;
* Good communication and organisation skills;
* A degree (or equivalent) in ecology or a related subject;
* Clean, full UK drivers licence.
* Experience of species specific and generic bird survey techniques (preferred but not essential); and
* GIS skills (preferred but not essential).
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 60,000 people, with revenues of over $10 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets, including the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, power & process, environment and infrastructure, clean energy, mining, nuclear, and general industrial sectors.
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.