28 days ago
Operations Manager (Central Projects)
The Operations Manager (Central Projects) shall establish, continuously improve and provide governance of an effective and consistent project delivery capability at Barnwood, developing and delivering cross fleet portfolios of integrated projects. The Operations Manager (Central Projects) shall, through these arrangements, safely deliver the full lifecycle of Investment Delivery cross fleet integrated projects within defined time, cost and quality parameters delivering maximum value to the business.
Nature and Scope
1. Accountable to the Head of Investment Delivery and is a member of the Leadership Team.
2. Leads a team that develops and delivers cross-fleet portfolios of integrated projects emerging from through-life programme requirements and the Medium Term Plan. Total annual value of combined portfolios will be in excess of £80M with lifecycle value potentially in excess of £500M.
3. Is the key leadership interface with Lifetime and Defueling and Fleet Critical Programmes to ensure the seamless transition of both lifetime and critical projects into normal business.
4. Has authority/accountability for expenditure up to the portfolio limits determined by sanctioned project funds and assigned budgets.
5. Has line accountability for the Barnwood-based Investment Delivery Project Portfolio Managers (and contract partner resource as necessary) through which consistent standards and expectations of safe project delivery are embedded into the project delivery teams.
1. Establishes, implements and provides suitable governance of an effective and consistent cross-fleet integrated project delivery capability at Barnwood.
2. Accountable for the safe full lifecycle delivery of Investment Delivery cross-fleet portfolios of integrated projects within defined time, cost and quality parameters.
3. Is the interface with the Operations Manager (North and South regions), ensuring that the delivery of cross-fleet integrated projects are adequately supported and integrated into the station site team delivery operations.
4. Advises, challenges and directs the development and implementation of key project delivery strategies applying value engineering techniques and leveraging synergies and economies of scale appropriate to the fleet or multi-station delivery context.
5. Ensures resources are sufficient to deliver the portfolios. Specifically, those personnel (staff and contractors) have the requisite knowledge, skills, and competences to effectively accomplish the tasks placed on them and that funds and plans are adequate and realistic. Support Investment Delivery PPM’s in the identification and recruitment of required resources
6. Supports the department in the ongoing development, implementation and embedding of Investment Delivery supply chain partnering arrangements by actively leading the development of a productive operational relationship.
7. Ensures the strategic and tactical development of Investment Delivery is embedded into the centre operations and the objectives of this development are delivered through the successful delivery of the Investment Delivery portfolios of integrated projects.
8. Supports the PPM Peer Group sponsorship through which the consistent application of project management standards and expectations are driven.
9. Provides sponsorship and leadership as appropriate to major programmes of work including emergent “event” projects. Provides Investment Delivery participation in Project Review Committees (PRCs) and IRMs and for troubleshooting / independent reviews including; Cold Eye Reviews; SACIs; Special Audits / Reviews; Outage Readiness Reviews
10. Chairs Project Boards and represents Investment Delivery on Programme Boards. Deputises for the Head of Investment Delivery as required
Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications, Experience
1. Degree educated, ideally in an Engineering or Science discipline, along with Chartered Engineer status or equivalent
2. Required to have the appropriate level of knowledge and experience in Project Management as defined by the Project Competence Model (Model No.29B) but Association of Project Management Professional (APMP or RPP) is desirable.
3. Post holders will be expected to complete the courses on MoV and MoR, P30 and MoP available to all project resources
4. Demonstrable record of success in leading complex major projects and a multiple project portfolios in an operational environment, preferably in the nuclear industry.
5. Fully versed in modern project management techniques within complex, multi-functional organisations. Experience and an understanding of the commercial elements of project management
6. Management and leadership experience directing multi-disciplinary teams addressing programme or project issues and requirements relating to complex technical platforms
7. A solid appreciation of Company, and external, standards and procedures
8. Demonstrable experience and use of office IT packages such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint and industry planning tools
9. A demonstrable working knowledge of relevant health, safety and environment legislation.
10. A demonstrable understanding of engineering, licensing, procurement, construction.