8 months ago
Overview / Responsibilities
The New Nuclear & Generation Services (NN&GS) business at our Dorchester office currently provides software development, scientific consultancy and mathematical modelling services to a broad range of civilian and military customers worldwide, mostly across the whole nuclear plant lifecycle, but with a growing portfolio of non-nuclear projects as well. Due to continuing growth in our Dorchester business we are looking to recruit an Operations Manager to join the NN&GS leadership team within the Nuclear division of Wood.
Your key responsibility as an Operations Manager will be the management of a large and growing team of technical specialists, currently approx. 50 staff with an active recruitment programme. These staff are mainly based in the Dorchester office although there are some embedded at client sites. You will be responsible for their day to day pastoral care and personal development, ensuring their performance meets expectations and that they are deployed to appropriate client projects to meet defined utilisation targets. You will also be accountable for the deployment forecasting and reporting for your staff as well as the recruitment of new people to ensure the sustainable growth of our technical capability.
You will also be accountable for the management of the local Wood facilities, including leading the local Building Management team, engaging in safety walkdowns, supporting the emergency response team and interfacing with the central Facilities and Security functions.
As well as your core resourcing accountabilities you will also provide support to the other members of the NN&GS management team, including the Framework and Account Leads in their pursuit of both existing and new customers and contracts, their development of new bids and tenders and their management of ongoing projects and tasks. You will also work with the technical, engineering and project management Heads of Profession to help guide the training and long-term career and personal development of your staff.
This role will present excellent opportunities for you to strengthen and develop your skills in effective leadership and the management of a team of technical specialists and for you to develop a successful career in operational management. For some aspects of this role a suitable level of security clearance will be required. Part time applicants for this role will also be considered.
Skills / Qualifications
Essential Skills / Experience
* Experience in the resource management of a large and diverse technical team within a scientific or engineering business
* Experience of driving performance and motivation through effective personal leadership, delegation and communication
* Demonstration of collaborative behaviours both locally and across a wider business landscape
* Demonstration of strong communication skills using a variety of approaches to achieve the desired outcomes
* Demonstration of discretion when discussing difficult or sensitive issues with staff along with the offering of appropriate solutions or corrective action
Desirable Skills / Experience
* Experience of resource management within a nuclear business
* Experience of effective management of embedded staff at a remote location
* Experience of building relationships with individuals and teams to facilitate collaborative working across the wider business
* Demonstration of leadership in an HSSEQ or emergency planning role
* Experience of working in a Defence technical delivery environment
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of around $10 billion. We provide performance driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, power & process, environment and infrastructure, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.