about 1 month ago
: Nov 7, 2019
: Europe, Middle East, Africa-United Kingdom-United Kingdom-Glasgow
Employment Type: Full Time
Job Level: Associate
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
Morgan Stanley’s Glasgow office employs in excess of 1,500 staff across Operations, Technology, Legal and Compliance, Internal Audit, Fund Services and Finance. Due to our growing business, we have a demand for career minded people to join our teams. Our opportunities offer unrivalled scope for progression and training within a fast paced, meritocratic and constantly changing environment. Morgan Stanley pride themselves on maintaining a culture which champions diversity, an inclusive environment for all, recognition and an opportunity to give back to our communities through various local charity partnerships. The office is located centrally and enjoys the additional benefits of an onsite gym and restaurant.
The Operations division is both the first line of defence for protecting Morgan Stanley's financial and reputational well-being, and an essential partner contributing to the firm's growth. Facing off to all Morgan Stanley businesses and interacting with all other parts of the Firm, the Operations division supports a complex, multi-faceted portfolio of businesses in full compliance with regulatory guidelines and the directives of the Operating Committee and Board of Directors. Members of the Operations team have a unique vantage point as the division touches all parts of the business, front to back. One of the largest divisions in the firm, Operations has diverse responsibilities, including correctly settling and recording millions of transactions per day, identifying and mitigating all operational risks, developing strong client relationships and partnering with technology to realize the full potential of IT and e-solutions. Throughout, we continually strive to improve while actively supporting the development of new businesses, structures and markets.
The Lean Center is a Center of Excellence (COE) in Global Operations that champions Operational Excellence through the development and use of Lean Management (Lean). Lean is a key lever in our overall Innovation and Continuous Improvement strategy and all teams in Global Operations are now applying Lean to their day-to-day activities. Over 500 Operations FTEs are now recognized as Lean Change Agents (LCAs) with the ability to lead Lean training and progress the Lean agenda within their teams, or across teams, as appropriate. Paired with Classic Change the Bank (CTB) and Advanced Automation (AvA), Lean is also helping to shape and drive significant automation ideas and opportunities.
There are several key areas of this particular role:
First and foremost, this role will be integral in the continued progression of process mapping, and our Process Discovery initiatives. This will include working with various Operations teams and subject matter experts to assist in mapping their work processes, determining opportunities for improvement/automation in these processes, and helping these teams to move forward with implementing solutions to these opportunities.
Next, this role will help to recognize and identify use cases to employ emerging MS technology tools in Global Operations processing. This will include the assessment of emerging capabilities, tools and products through Proof of Concepts (POCs).
This role will directly engage with the LCA community in order to further develop Lean capabilities in prioritized areas of focus aligned to Global Operations benefit commitments.
Lastly, in partnership with Technology, this role will support the Central Change agenda through opportunity identification and process analysis.
The resource must be able to demonstrate skill in problem solving and process improvement across four key dimensions:
- Lean Sustainability: Coordination with the business/technology to optimize end-to-end processing architecture and business process management through the training and use of the Lean Toolkit and related productivity technologies. This includes process discovery and optimization, in tandem with local Lean Change Agents and SMEs, including the capture of key process flows/attributes with Lean analyses like Value Stream Mapping (VSM).
- Problem Structuring and Quantification: ability to frame and disaggregate high level problems, and structure collaborative analyses that results in a) clear problem statements and b) initial business cases for improvement. Possess the ability to think strategically, and seek solutions that can be realized across divisions. In addition, the ability to ask probing questions to make sure that the relevant information, opportunities, problems, and suggestions are accurately captured.
- Resource Management and Development: ability to coach and develop teams and individuals to deliver on Process Discovery expansion, and grow their personal competencies.
- Technical ability: depth in MS desktop tool usage (Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel/Word, SharePoint, Jive, Tableau, etc.) to optimize efficiency and communication and provide value through improved business intelligence and metrics.
- Strong grasp of Lean Management concepts and toolkit (e.g. Huddles, Root Cause Problem Solving, Standard Work, VSM, etc.) coupled with knowledge of project/change management principles and best practices
- Excellent written/verbal communication skills and interpersonal skills for interacting with colleagues, departmental management in a cross-divisional setting
- Strong presentation/training/coaching skills with ability to facilitate deep-dive process discovery, optimization and idea generation sessions
- Goal setting, employee performance evaluation and development
- Self-confident/motivated in achieving results in collaborative team settings and through virtual work with teams in multiple locations
- Intrinsic business sense, listening, and analytical skills with innate inquisitiveness and desire to challenge the status quo
- Appreciation of risk awareness and escalation
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast pace environment
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite of tools
- University degree or higher educational qualifications in business/financial services. Preferred emphasis in Business Administration, Operations Management, Finance, Accounting, Engineering, Logistics or Organizational Behavior
- Project Management and/or Agile certification
- Professional experience in banking and financial services (preferred in capital markets)
- Experience in a similar position in business process improvement like Reengineering, Six Sigma or BPM
- Understanding of the trade lifecycle and the downstream requirements of trade and financial data
- Financial services/product/reporting knowledge highly desirable, as well as, related industry regulations
- Knowledge of accounting and basic terminologies used in the financial services sector
Interested in flexible working opportunities? Morgan Stanley empowers employees to have greater freedom of choice through flexible working arrangements. Speak to our recruitment team to find out more.
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the global communities in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents. *LI-SW1