6 months ago
Title : Nuclear Technical Engineer (Nuclear Propulsion)
Requisition ID :2018-28088
Work Location :GB-Cheshire-Warrington
Department / Discipline : Engineering - Geotechnical
Position Type : Staff / Permanent
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood is seeking a skilled and experienced Nuclear Technical Engineer to work within an existing team which provides a key role in supporting the Ministry of Defence’s Nuclear Submarine Programme.
About Wood Nuclear:
Wood’s nuclear business supports customers in the energy generation, new build, decommissioning and defence sectors.
Our nuclear business has offices in Knutsford and Birchwood in Cheshire, Gloucester, Gloucestershire, Dorchester, Harwell, Glasgow, Newcastle, Bristol, Cumbria, Reading and London. We also have a strong international presence to support our growing operations in France, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Poland, South Africa and Japan.
Our reputation for safely delivering quality projects on time and on budget is well recognised in the industries we serve. We have proven expertise in managing large, complex projects, a global reach and long-standing UK presence, strong relationships with our clients and cutting-edge processes and technologies.
What that means to you is the opportunity to experience a real variety of projects, working with people from different backgrounds. You'll work closely with our clients and committed to achieving outstanding results in a stimulating and quality-driven environment.
As a Nuclear Technical Engineer, you will work within our dynamic, customer facing Independent Nuclear Assurance (INA) team (formerly SRD) who provide independent nuclear safety and technical advice for both current in-service as well as future designs of Naval Reactor Plant (NRP). As part of the INA team, you will ensure that our safety and technical support is delivered to meet the requirements of the UK’s submarine programme.
This work requires detailed knowledge of the design and operation of NRP and is therefore well suited to Naval Reactor Plant Operators or personnel with suitable operational experience who are seeking an opportunity to continue working within the Naval Nuclear Programme. However, we are equally interested in hearing from engineers and scientists who have related skills within the naval programme and are seeking new challenges in this exciting and rewarding area of work
The post is based at our new modern offices in Birchwood, Cheshire but the work will involve occasional travel throughout the UK.
Overall, this position provides a gateway into the MoD and Civilian Nuclear Programmes with opportunities to gain qualifications, broaden experience and progress a career in a modern and nationally important industry. You will be working in a close knit team who will support your development and will value your experience.
Skills / Qualifications
* Provision of authoritative nuclear safety and technical advice in support of the submarine fleet throughout its lifecycle.
* Conducting independent assessments of nuclear safety cases and technical substantiation issued in support of NRP and related technical material in areas of personal technical specialism.
* Review of NRP operating documentation.
* Technical project management and support to planning and co-ordinating assessments from Wood’s specialist nuclear technology professionals, reviewing outputs and ensuring delivery to the MoD customer to time, cost and quality.
* Representing Wood at external meetings with the MoD and their contractors.
* Degree or equivalent professional training in science or engineering
* Detailed design knowledge or operational experience of the Naval Reactor Plant
* Good consultancy/communication skills and the ability to work directly and effectively with the customer are essential
* Ability to work effectively across a range of tasks and liaise with personnel from multiple technical disciplines
* Enthusiasm and aptitude for clear and concise technical writing is important.
* Familiarity of safety standards such as JSP 518, JSP 430 or HSE SAPs would be an advantage
* UK Citizen as Security clearance to at least SC will be required
* UK Drivers License is desirable
A relocation package will be considered for the right candidate.
What do you get?
As well as exciting roles on projects in the UK and abroad; in a supportive and professional work environment, these are some of the additional benefits you can expect at Wood:
* A competitive reward package
* Work life balance – We offer flexible working; we have core and flex hours in all our permanent office locations.
* Family friendly benefits – maternity, paternity, adoption and parental leave.
* International opportunities - As an 60,000 strong community of colleagues operating in 60 counties you will have access to international career opportunities.
* For your peace of mind we offer life insurance benefit on top of a contributory pension scheme, as well as income protection and life assurance benefit.
* To support you throughout your career you will have access to an Employee Assistance programme, which can offer anything from financial advice to mental health support and counselling sessions.
For our communities:
* We give back to our communities, we have a matched funding community investment programme. In our global business our people are showing commitment and courage to care for the communities we operate in. You can do this by supporting causes and raising funds for charities that are important to you, your colleagues and your local area.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 60,000 people, with revenues of over $10 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets, including the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, power & process, environment and infrastructure, clean energy, mining, nuclear, and general industrial sectors.
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.