7 months ago
Nuclear Safety Case Engineer (Junior/Early careers)
Requisition ID :2019-59463
Work Location :GB-Cheshire-Birchwood
Department / Discipline : Technical Safety
Position Type : Staff / Permanent
Market / Sector (Candidate Portal Searching)
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood Nuclear is recruiting for a Safety Case Engineer in the early years of their career to be based at our offices in Birchwood, Warrington.
About Wood Nuclear:
Wood’s nuclear business supports customers in the energy generation, new build, decommissioning and defence sectors.
Our nuclear business has offices in Knutsford and Birchwood in Cheshire, Gloucester, Gloucestershire, Dorchester, Harwell, Glasgow, Newcastle, Bristol, Cumbria, Reading and London. We also have a strong international presence to support our growing operations in France, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Poland, South Africa and Japan.
Our reputation for safely delivering quality projects on time and on budget is well recognised in the industries we serve. We have proven expertise in managing large, complex projects, a global reach and long-standing UK presence, strong relationships with our clients and cutting-edge processes and technologies.
What that means to you is the opportunity to experience a real variety of projects, working with people from different backgrounds. You'll work closely with our clients and be committed to achieving outstanding results in a stimulating and quality-driven environment.
Our company has a wide range of exciting safety case work and you will be joining a team that works in all areas of the nuclear industry. The team takes a special interest in decommissioning and support to Cumbria, North West Ltd, it has supported all UK Generic Design Assessments for new nuclear build, has staff supporting defence work, has involvement in the ITER project, and we can offer experience on the assurance side as well as safety case production: we pride ourselves on the rounded ability of the team.
The successful candidate will be a junior safety case consultant, or equivalent experience, who can help our customers develop robust safety justifications for their plant and operations. You will have the opportunity to undertake safety assessments and prepare safety cases for nuclear and other high hazard processes, initially under the supervision of more senior colleagues, and then as your experience grows on your own.
Wood is committed to the continuing professional development of our staff and your development will be overseen by one of your senior colleagues. In joining Wood, you will be part of a well-motivated, multidisciplinary team with a broad age and experience profile. You will have excellent opportunities to progress by furthering your technical capabilities and broadening into the wider interests of our company.
You will be involved in delivering a diverse range of consultancy projects for our customers mainly in the nuclear sector. Key aspects of the role are listed below.
* Preparation of safety assessments and supporting references;
* Participation in safety case workshops/seminars;
* Analysing problems, discussing and developing solutions with colleagues and customers;
* Engagement with partners, suppliers and customers;
* Checking work of other team members;Delivering work to time, cost and quality to ensure customer satisfaction
Skills / Qualifications
We are seeking high calibre candidates who have:
* Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal);
* Technical ability and are flexible and keen to develop their skills;
* The ability to work in multi-disciplinary teams;
* A good attention to detail;
* A positive, proactive and enthusiastic approach.
* A first degree in an appropriate scientific discipline;
* A full, clean UK Driver’s License;
* A willingness to spend time working on client sites;
* Membership or a willingness to work towards membership of relevant professional institution.Experience in the any or all of the following would be of value:
* Preparation of technical reports addressing safety issues;
* Understanding of safety requirements for nuclear or other highly regulated high hazard industry;
* Experience or knowledge of safety assessment techniques including hazard identification, fault schedules, fault / event tree analysis, radiological consequence assessment, qualitative / quantitative risk assessment;
* Experience of engineering design and/or substantiation processes in the nuclear or other highly regulated high hazard industry.
For successful candidates, security clearance will need to be acquired as part of the joining process.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 60,000 people, with revenues of over $10 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets, including the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, power & process, environment and infrastructure, clean energy, mining, nuclear, and general industrial sectors.
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.