about 1 year ago
Nuclear Propulsion Site Liaison Officer
Requisition ID :2019-37459
Work Location :GB-Cumbria-Barrow in Furness
Department / Discipline : Tech Safety
Position Type : Staff / Permanent
Market / Sector (Candidate Portal Searching)
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood is seeking a skilled and experienced Nuclear Propulsion Engineer to join their existing submarine project team. The successful candidate will provide a key role in supporting the Royal Navy’s Nuclear Submarine Programme.
As a Site Liaison Officer, you will work within our dynamic, customer facing Independent Nuclear Assurance (INA) team (formerly SRD) who provide independent nuclear safety and technical advice for both in-service as well as future designs of Naval Reactor Plant (NRP). As part of the INA team, you will ensure that our safety and technical support is delivered to meet the requirements of the UK’s Naval Nuclear Propulsion Programme.
This work requires detailed knowledge of the design and operation of NRP and implementing relevant safety cases and is therefore well suited to Naval Reactor Plant Operators or personnel with related operational experience who are seeking an opportunity to continue working within the programme. However, we are equally interested in hearing from engineers and scientists who have related skills within the naval programme and who are seeking new challenges in this exciting and rewarding area of work.
INA’s Site Liaison Officers (SLOs) act as agents for the Naval Reactor Plant Authorisee (NRPA). This role will be based Barrow and requires the post holder to have the ability to work in situations away from INA’s headquarters support at Birchwood and under pressure to meet tight timescales as well as ensuring nuclear safety standards are met on site. Given the requirement to provide on-call support to the NRPA it is essential for the SLOs to be available on site within an hour’s notice. Travel between other sites (eg HM Naval Bases) is also required to provide cover during sickness and holidays and ensure best practices are shared between sites.
Overall, this position provides a gateway into the MoD and Civilian Nuclear Programmes with opportunities to gain qualifications, broaden experience and progress a career in a modern and nationally important industry. You will be working in a close knit team who will support your development and will value your experience.
Appointment as Assistant SLOs will be made for less experienced candidates who will work in a supporting role while gaining experience and training.
* Provision of authoritative independent nuclear safety advice to and on behalf of the NRPA, focussed on ensuring safety of Naval Reactor Plant and associated support facilities.
* Being a member of Authorisation Groups on site, thereby seeking assurance that nuclear safety standards are being maintained.
* Maintaining an awareness of all activities on site (e.g. construction, assembly, commissioning and trials) that may affect nuclear safety, whether immediately or through the life of the nuclear plant.
* Communicating effectively with various members of the nuclear propulsion community on-site, with headquarters staff at Birchwood and with NRPA personnel at Abbey Wood.
* Being an integral member of the Nuclear Accident Response Organisation.
* Contributing to the development of safety management practices.
About Wood Nuclear:
Wood’s nuclear business supports customers in the energy generation, new build, decommissioning and defence sectors.
Our nuclear business has offices in Knutsford and Birchwood in Cheshire, Gloucester, Gloucestershire, Dorchester, Harwell, Glasgow, Newcastle, Bristol, Cumbria, Reading and London. We also have a strong international presence to support our growing operations in France, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Poland, South Africa and Japan.
Our reputation for safely delivering quality projects on time and on budget is well recognised in the industries we serve. We have proven expertise in managing large, complex projects, a global reach and long-standing UK presence, strong relationships with our clients and cutting-edge processes and technologies.
What that means to you is the opportunity to experience a real variety of projects, working with people from different backgrounds. You'll work closely with our clients and committed to achieving outstanding results in a stimulating and quality-driven environment
Skills / Qualifications
* Degree or equivalent professional training in relevant scientific or engineering discipline.
* Detailed design knowledge or operational experience of the Naval Reactor Plant (Category A Nuclear Watchkeeper).
* Good consultancy/communication skills and the ability to work directly and effectively with the customer and other stakeholders.
* Ability to work as part of a dispersed team.
* UK Citizenship with security clearance to at least SC.
* Familiarity with safety standards such as NRPA’s NSMA, JSP 518, or HSE SAPs
* UK Driver’s Licence
What do you get?
As well as exciting roles on projects in the UK and abroad; in a supportive and professional work environment, these are some of the additional benefits you can expect at Wood:
* A competitive reward package in line with experience
* Work life balance – We offer flexible working; flexible hours in all our permanent office locations, the ability for homeworking when appropriate and work with the individual to ensure an appropriate work life balance is achieved.
* Access to specialist knowledge and experience both locally within your team and across the Wood organisation, Employee Development Programmes, internal and external training to address your own development and career progression needs.
* Family friendly benefits – maternity, paternity, adoption and parental leave.
* International opportunities - As an 60,000 strong community of colleagues operating in 60 countries you will have access to international career opportunities.
* For your peace of mind, we offer life insurance benefit on top of a contributory pension scheme, as well as income protection and life assurance benefit.
* To support you throughout your career you will have access to an Employee Assistance programme, which can offer anything from financial advice to mental health support and counselling sessions.
* A relocation package will be considered for the right candidate.
For our communities:
* We give back to our communities; we have a matched funding community investment programme. In our global business our people are showing commitment and courage to care for the communities we operate in. You can do this by supporting causes and raising funds for charities that are important to you, your colleagues and your local area.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 60,000 people, with revenues of over $10 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets, including the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, power & process, environment and infrastructure, clean energy, mining, nuclear, and general industrial sectors.
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.