12 months ago
Network and Security Engineer
Job number: UK14004
Company/Division: Enabling Functions
Career area: Information Technology
UK, North East, Newcastle upon Tyne
About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Network and Security Engineer to join our Enabling Functions team to work in Newcastle upon Tyne (Longbenton).
* To provide technical proactive, reactive and project support. Working closely with our network and security partners to provision, maintain and support the companys networks and security appliances;
* This is a 3rd line engineering role providing support through our ticketing system service now while managing the organizations network and security infrastructure;
* To continually make improvements and modifications to all Balfour Beatty network technology that will improve operating effectiveness and efficiency.
What you'll be doing
* Ensures that appropriate standards are adhered to, providing technical support and undertaking technical project work;
* Support Balfour Beatty Leadership in the delivery of networking and security
solutions through projects, enhancements and business demand;
* Interface with IT Services Teams and PMO to ensure system integration is consistent and our project framework is adhered to;
* Maintain, update and support all networking and security technology;
* Operate Service Delivery Toolset Service Now in line with our operating procedures and processes;
* Assist the Architects with the analysis, design, the deployment of new technologys;
* Interact with day to day technical relationships of 3rd party providers;
* To provide technical expertise in the delivery of fixes, changes and upgrades to the IT Infrastructure;
* Interact with the Service Desk to resolve incidents within SLAs and undertake problem management;
* Proactively identify operational problems and their resolution;
* Participate in the on-call rota schedule where required;
* Using My Contribution work with the team to innovate come up with new ideas that will reduce cost or improve the way we work as a business.
Who we're looking for
Personal Qualities and Experience:
* Experience in a network and security role which encompassed project work as well as the management of networking and security. (your CV MUST be able to demonstrate this);
* Excellent knowledge of Cisco, HP, Meraki, Routing, F5, Zscaler, Palo Alto firewalls;
* Ideally CCNP Qualified;
* Experience with day to day network configuration and general support;
* Knowledge of Solarwinds, VMWare and other management tools beneficial;
* An understanding of Always on and High Availability preferred;
* Experience of design, build and implementation;
* Excellent communication skills;
* Performance tuning and optimisation skills;
* Disaster recovery and Business continuity experience;
* Planning & Prioritising;
* Analytical thinking;
* Good interpersonal skills;
* Organizational commitment;
* Team Work and Influence;
* Strong system analysis experience required;
* Experience in a Service Delivery Best Practice environment preferred;
* Analytical, conceptual, and problem-solving abilities;
* Knowledge of ITIL framework and methodology;
* Written and oral communication skills;
* Ability to conduct research into emerging technologies and trends, standards, and
products as required;
* Ability to present ideas in user-friendly business language;
* Ability to effectively prioritise and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment;
* Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative manner;
* Customer focus;
* Ability to facilitate change.
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
Balfour Beattys Enabling Functions includes our centralised HR, IT, Procurement, Finance, Health & Safety, Sustainability and Comms teams. Together we support Balfour Beatty to deliver projects on behalf of our clients. We operate according to our Build to Last values of Lean, Expert, Trusted and Safe.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and a member of Stonewall's Diversity Champions programme. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.