4 months ago
Title : NDT Laboratory Technician
Requisition ID :2018-27863
Work Location :GB-Cheshire-Warrington
Department / Discipline : Engineering - Structural
Position Type : Staff / Permanent
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood’s nuclear business supports customers in the energy generation, new build, decommissioning and defence sectors.
Our nuclear business has offices in Knutsford and Birchwood in Cheshire, Gloucester, Gloucestershire, Dorchester, Harwell, Glasgow, Newcastle, Bristol, Cumbria, Reading and London. We also have a strong international presence to support our growing operations in France, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Poland, South Africa and Japan.
Our reputation for safely delivering quality projects on time and on budget is well recognised in the industries we serve. We have proven expertise in managing large, complex projects, a global reach and long-standing UK presence, strong relationships with our clients and cutting-edge processes and technologies.
What that means to you is the opportunity to experience a real variety of projects, working with people from different backgrounds. You'll work closely with our clients and committed to achieving outstanding results in a stimulating and quality-driven environment.
Wood Nuclear are looking to recruit a NDT Laboratory Technician. The successful candidate will join the Monitoring and Inspection Design team and will be based at our Birchwood Park office, near Warrington in Cheshire.
This is predominantly a laboratory based role supporting the team by performing inspection data collection, reporting of results, looking after inspection equipment and specimens and general housekeeping of the laboratory. Some work may be performed on plant or at clients’ sites.
* Perform inspection activities under guidance from task managers.
* Techniques include MPI and dye penetrant inspection, manual and automated ultrasonic inspection, including advanced techniques with phased array, manual and automated eddy current inspection and other bespoke inspection activities.
* Operation of hardware and software for the recording and analysis of data.
* Production of simple technical drawings using CAD package.
* Follow written procedures and work instructions and maintain accurate quality assurance records for work performed.
* Completion of tasks to time, cost and quality to meet both internal and external customer requirements.
* Responsible for the safe operation and calibration of equipment in the laboratory and for adopting safe working practices.
* To work flexibly as part of a multidisciplinary scientific team.
Skills / Qualifications
* Served a recognised mechanical apprenticeship, or have equivalent experience or have recently completed a qualification in a relevant subject, e.g. Physics, Materials Science, Mechanical Engineering.
* Experience of safety principles and controls within a laboratory or site environment.
* Knowledge and practical experience of NDE techniques and international standards.
* A willingness to spend a proportion of the time working on client sites (not expected to be significant).
* The successful candidate will need to be vetted and security cleared to work on defence-related projects.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 60,000 people, with revenues of over $10 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets, including the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, power & process, environment and infrastructure, clean energy, mining, nuclear, and general industrial sectors.
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.