3 months ago
Missile Mechanical Architect (Level 4/5)
Role Title and Location: Missile Mechanical Architect - Stevenage
Job Ref No: P7541S
Salary: Upto £60,000 plus bonus and benefits (depending on experience)
MBDA Level: Level 5
Reports to Head of Mechanical & Electro-Mechanical Architecture UK
What’s the opportunity?
Mechanical Architects are involved in all aspects of missile development, from the early concept studies to series production and in-service support within MBDA. It’s an excellent opportunity for someone wanting to build on their engineering experience and progress to a more senior technical role.
The Architect role:
* Capture and manage the missile mechanical architecture requirements to achieve missile performance, on time and on cost
* Ensure functional and mechanical requirements are flown down to the sub-assemblies within the missile
* At Missile level, in conjunction with the Mechanical Design Team, determine the overall product structure, mechanical interfaces and architecture
* Facilitate Architectural Trades eg:
* Overall layout vs compliance to technical requirements to achieve system performance
* Brokering mechanical trades between sub-systems and internal equipment to meet overall Missile system needs, including:
* Key performance requirements
* Mass properties
* Structural Integrity
* Ensure missile architectures support generic policies eg modularity, re-use, design for assembly
* Undertake phased Missile level technology maturity & complexity of design assessments to de-risk the development cycle
* Provide justification of the Missile Mechanical Architecture design
* Co-ordinate the verification evidence of missile performance to support certification of the design
* Define missile level hardware requirements to support proving and de-risk activities
* Manage missile prototype and development hardware on behalf of the CDE
* In conjunction with the relevant Design Authority / Mechanical Design Team, provide regular technical status to the project / Chief Design Engineer
* Support product Design and program Phase Gate reviews
* Manage technical changes and Non-Conformance & Non-Compliance issues
* Identify Architecture risks and opportunities during the development phases
* Control any assigned budgets, manage personal workload and identify any further resource needs
* Interface with, and manage, customer expectations throughout the development process
What are the benefits for you?
The role gives the opportunity to experience a broad view of the development process through interaction with Systems Designers, Chief Engineers, Design Authorities and Suppliers. Longer-term, there are opportunities to develop towards a Chief Design Engineer (CDE) role.
What’s great about joining this team?
There are about 45 staff within the Mechanical Architecture UK Functional Team, who are all located with their Project Teams in Stevenage. You will typically be working for the Project CDE and interact with a broad range of other Functions within MBDA, but have a high degree of autonomy and represent the Project / Function in meetings.
Who and what we are looking for from you?
* Ideally educated to degree level (or equivalent) with significant experience of mechanical engineering and stakeholder management
* Ability to collaborate across multiple disciplines
* Strong leadership skills, able to establish a clear engineering vision
* Good knowledge and experience of mechanical & electro-mechanical design, including:
* Static & Dynamic Analysis
* Design for Environment, Cost, Manufacture
* Thermal Management
* Good understanding of broader engineering disciplines, such as:
* Vibration, Shock, Fatigue
* Six Sigma & Lean Design
* Critical Parameter Management
* Systems Engineering V-model
* Failure Mode & Effects Analysis
* Test Design eg Design of Experiments
* Experience developing proving logic and managing the generation of compliance evidence towards Certificates of Design
* Experience across the full Product Life Cycle
* Ability to influence senior managers and other stakeholders
* Strong interpersonal and well developed communication skills (written & verbal)
* Willingness to travel within UK and Europe when appropriate
MBDA is committed to providing an inclusive working environment where our employees can be themselves and everyone has equal opportunity to reach their full potential. We value difference and know that a diverse community makes for greater innovation and brings a breadth of skills, experience and perspectives.
Please Note: MBDA UK requires all employees to achieve and maintain SC security clearance or above without restrictions that will inhibit the ability to fulfil the requirements of the role. Your eligibility for the appropriate level of security clearance may be discussed with you during the recruitment process. Any existing clearance holders may be able to transfer clearance (subject to approval).
Are you a member of LinkedIn? If so, you are invited to view future MBDA UK opportunities and news by following our MBDA LinkedIn Company page.* Directorate
Engineering and Design
Missile Mechanical Architect (Level 4/5)
* Job Ref no