3 months ago
Missile Mechanical Architect
Role Title and Location: Missile Mechanical Architect - Stevenage
Job Ref No: P8345S
Salary: Up to £60,000 plus bonus and benefits (depending on experience)
MBDA Level: Level 5
Reports to Head of Mechanical & Electro-Mechanical Architecture UK
As Mechanical Architects, we are involved in all aspects of missile development, from the early feasibility studies to series production and in-service support within MBDA. It’s an excellent opportunity for someone wanting to build on their engineering experience and progress to a more senior technical role.
The Architect role!
* Gather and manage the missile mechanical architecture requirements to achieve missile performance, on time and on cost and overall layout vs compliance
* Provide justification of the design and co-ordinate the verification evidence of missile performance to support certification
* Ensure functional and mechanical requirements are flown down to the sub-assemblies within the missile
* At missile level, in conjunction with the Mechanical Design Team, figure out overall product structure, mechanical interfaces and architecture
* Facilitate Architectural Trades i.e: brokering mechanical trades between sub-systems and internal equipment to meet overall missile system needs, including key performance requirements, mass properties, alignment, aerodynamics, thermal, safety and structural integrity.
* Ensure missile architectures support generic policies i.e modularity, re-use, design for assembly
* Undertake phased missile level technology maturity & complexity of design assessments to de-risk the development cycle
* Define missile level hardware requirements to support proving and de-risk activities
* Manage missile prototype and development hardware on behalf of the CDE
* Working with the relevant Design Authority / Mechanical Design Team, provide regular technical status to the project / Chief Design Engineer
* Support product Design and program Phase Gate reviews and manage technical changes and Non-Conformance & Non-Compliance issues
* Identify Architecture risks and opportunities during the development phases
* Control any assigned budgets, handle personal workload and identify any further resource needs
* Collaborate with and handle customer expectations
What's in it for you?
We believe this role will suit someone who is looking for an opportunity to experience a broad view of the development process through interaction with Systems Designers, Chief Engineers, Design Authorities and Suppliers. Longer-term, there are opportunities to develop towards a Chief Design Engineer (CDE) role.
What’s great about joining this team:
We have about 45 staff within the Mechanical Architecture UK Functional Team, who are all located with their Project Teams in Stevenage. You will typically be working for the Project CDE and collaborate with a broad range of other Functions within MBDA, but have a high degree of autonomy and represent the Project / Function in meetings.
We understand that flexibility benefits our people, our teams and our business; wherever possible we will seek to accommodate a blended 2-3 days per week approach to on-site and remote working.
We are looking for some who is:
* Ideally educated to degree level (or equivalent) with significant experience of mechanical engineering and partnering
* Able to collaborate across multiple subject areas
* Ability to influence senior managers and other partners
* Strong interpersonal and well developed communication skills (written & verbal)
* Willingness to travel within UK and Europe when appropriate
* Strong leadership skills, able to establish a clear engineering vision
* Good knowledge and experience of electro-mechanical & mechanical design, including:
* Static & Dynamic Analysis
* Design for Environment, Cost, Manufacture
* Thermal Management
* Experience developing proving logic and leading the generation of compliance evidence towards Certificates of Design
* Experience across the full Product Life Cycle
We are also interested in a good understanding of broader engineering fields, such as:
Aerodynamics / Materials /Vibration, Shock, Fatigue /Six Sigma & Lean Design /Critical Parameter Management /Systems Engineering V-model /Failure Mode & Effects Analysis/ Test Design i.e: Design of Experiments
We can offer you:
*Flexible working *opportunities for career progression *paid overtime (subject to level) *great bonus scheme *comprehensive pension scheme *annual salary review *fantastic working environment and site facilities *social, charitable and sporting activities.
MBDA is an award-winning company; committed to providing an inclusive working environment where our employees can be themselves and everyone has equal opportunity to reach their full potential. We value difference and know that a diverse community makes for greater innovation and brings a breadth of skills, experience and perspectives.
We welcome applicants who would like flexible working arrangements. MBDA is a proud member of Working Families – the UK’s work-life balance organisation.
Follow MBDA on LinkedIn and Twitter.
Please Note: MBDA UK requires all employees to achieve the appropriate clearance relevant to the role.