8 months ago
Mechanical Systems Engineer – Vehicle Architecture-TFEN-UKDY01524811
With 61 production and engineering sites and 18 service centers in 28 countries, Bombardier Transportation is a global leader in the rail industry. We cover the full spectrum of rail solutions, ranging from complete trains to sub-systems, maintenance services, system integration and signaling.
In Derby, we’ve got the largest and the best core of rolling stock design knowledge in the UK and we’re also worldwide center of excellence in a diverted range of engineering disciplines (such as aluminum car body designs, software based train control information systems, as well as human factors).
Currently, we are looking to grow our team by adding a new Mechanical Systems Engineer, working with Couplers and Gangways within our Global Vehicle Engineering Team.
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
As a Mechanical Systems Engineer, you will provide whole lifecycle mechanical system engineering for Couplers and Gangways systems on passenger rail vehicles. The successful application and integration of these systems is required on Product Engine/platform development, bids and refurbishment projects.
• Ensure designs are demonstrably compliant to Railway Group Standards, customer and legislative requirements. This will include design reviews, design assurance statements, system testing, first article inspections and clause by clause responses to requirements.
• System Requirement analysis, clarification, interpretation and alignment with other engineering disciplines to establish common technical view. Manage technical responses from system suppliers, via Technical Requirements documentation, interface documentation, deliverables list, type testing, manuals, through strategic development and building relations.
• Perform analysis to confirm that the designed system will meet requirements. Assist our sub-suppliers in the design process. Use experience to offer design solutions and where a practical solution cannot be found, revisit requirements and find a compromise for all stakeholders.
• Plan your own workload and manage this to deliver on-time and to quality. Prepare / review / support system relevant verification and validation activities (e.g. test procedure preparation, test conduct and/or support, FAI witnessing, etc.)
• Champion best practice, lessons learnt, feedback and development of coupler and gangways systems, supporting BT global initiatives and the work of the product engine / platform teams.
• Bachelor’s degree in engineering or relevant training and experience.
• Technical experience working in mechanical systems engineering and a sound understanding of defining, structuring and developing a concept and design.
• Experience and hands on delivery of the design, analysis, development, testing and delivery of engineering solutions that solve complex requirements.
• Ability to use technical knowledge in the support of other departments (engineering, production, procurement, projects) and the development of less experienced engineering personnel.
• Experience of working in an international environment.
• Strong communication and presentation skills.
Why work for us?
Everywhere we operate, we reward effort and initiative. You are encouraged to ask questions and empowered to make decisions.
As an equal opportunity employer, we strive to create a stimulating and open workplace which fosters teamwork, fairness, respect and diversity.
Bombardier Transportation is an Equal Opportunity Employer Dedicated to Affirmative Action and Workforce Diversity.
Competitive salary range
Number of working hours: 37
Job: Mechanical Engineering
Primary Location: GB-ENG-Derby
Employee Status: Regular