5 months ago
Mechanical Engineering Manager (Deputy Head of Eng)
Airbus Defence and Space Ltd.
Airbus is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2018 it generated revenues of 64 billion and employed a workforce of around 134,000. Airbus offers the most comprehensive range of passenger airliners. Airbus is also a Europeanleader providing tanker, combat, transport and mission aircraft, as well as one of the world's leading space companies. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions worldwide.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
Description of the job
A vacancy for a Mechanical Engineering Manager (Deputy Head of Engineering) has arisen within Airbus Defence & Space in Farnborough, providing engineering designs for the Zephyr solar-powered stratospheric unmanned aerial vehicle.
You will join Zephyr Engineering (TUMZE).
The Mechanical Engineering Team is an essential pillar within the Zephyr Engineering Organisation, alongside Systems Engineering, Safety Engineering and Electrical Engineering. The Zephyr Engineering Organisation provides complete aircraft and ground station designs: improvements and industrialisation of the current Zephyr-S product; the next-generation Zephyr-T product; and future products.
Tasks & accountabilities
- Provide pastoral care to the Engineers within the Mechanical Engineering Team (around 20)
- Hold regular 1-2-1 meetings to provide support to each of the engineers and maintain their wellbeing
- Provide career development leadership to the engineers as part of a performance management culture including annual appraisals and quarterly reviews (including objective setting and establishing training needs)
- Arrange and chair regular (biweekly) team meetings to flow-down information and encourage knowledge sharing opportunities
- Creating a cohesive team, despite the distribution of the resources across different projects
- Assigning Engineers to projects (in consideration of project governance)
- Capability and capacity planning for the Mechanical Engineering Team to ensure the right headcount and mix of skills
- Recruiting new talent where necessary
Develop strategies to address single-point failures
- Partnering with the Project Managers and other Engineering Managers to resolve priority calls by providing options and escalating
- Report team essential performance indicators
- Helping Work Package Leads within the team to maintain their plan through proactive review and support to ensure project work delivery
- Anticipate future challenges and provide ideas and solutions
- Establishing necessary guidelines/processes within the team, including supporting the definition and improvement of tools and methods used
- Utilise and collaborate with the Technical Specialists within the team, to provide cohesive technical leadership and support to the Engineers
- Ensuring that Technical Specialists have technology roadmaps in place which align with the systems and product need
- The technical ability to step-in and undertake project engineering work or deputy Head of Engineering activities as part of their time (approx. 25%)
- Providing deputy support where necessary to Chief Engineer / Head of Engineering
- Continue to develop an Engineering Organisation which can meet the needs of the programme
- Develop junior team members, to act as technical mentor and process/method referent
- Ability communicate at all levels of the organisation
- Chair constructive meetings
Your role will involve some travel for business so you may be asked to travel accordingly.
This job requires an awareness of any potential compliance risks and a commitment to act with integrity, as the foundation for the company's success, reputation and sustainable growth.
- A Mechanical or Aeronautical Engineering background
- Experience in people development, team management and transformation programmes
- Good knowledge of aircraft design, build and test processes
- A degree in a relevant discipline (e.g. Mechanical Engineering, Aeronautical Engineering)
- Relevant higher degree and other qualification (e.g. in management)
Chartered Engineer status
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, colour, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
In return we can offer a great compensation package with annual profit ; a growing list of company benefits and career development options across our transnational, market leading company.
Because of the nature of work undertaken you will also undergo security clearance vetting, if not already security cleared to a minimum SC level