9 months ago
QinetiQ is a leading science and engineering company operating primarily in the defence, security and critical infrastructure markets. We offer our customers world-class expertise through our services and innovative technology-based products. Our people proactively understand our customers’ current and future needs and create and enable solutions at greater pace to meet current, adjacent and emergent threats. Why don’t you join some of the world’s finest scientific and technical minds and help us make tomorrow work today?
Job description/Person specification
Employment Type: Full Time – Permanent
Salary: £26,500 per annum + Bonus Schemes + Benefits
Start Date: September 2020
Working as a part of multi-disciplinary teams supporting projects mainly arising from RE&I business development, you will provide mechanical engineering input to a range of concepts and also the numerical analysis required to enable the assessment and development of new designs/design improvements. This will include the emerging QinetiQ range of advanced mechanical and electro-mechanical transmissions (E-X-Drive®, in Wheel Electric Hub Drive).
Learning over time and with the support of team members your knowledge and experience will expand to cover a wide range of analysis types:
- Gear design (e.g. sizing gears to carry the imposed stresses for the required life)
- Performance modelling (e.g. sizing motors and predicting the performance of the transmission through taking into account losses from gear meshes, bearings, oil seals rubbing on shafts)
- Cooling and Lubrication system (e.g. sizing channels to obtain the correct flow and pressure loss characteristics, specifying pumps to provide the correct pressure and flow rate.
- Analysis of trials results, feeding back findings to the design team and using results to validate models.
- Use of CAD for generation, communication and exploration of concepts including use of in-built Finite Element Analysis and motion analysis.
Duties & Responsibilities
You could be responsible for:
- Contributing to generation of concepts and identification of improvements to mechanical systems.
- Conduct of analysis to enable sizing of components and features so they will meet the requirements. Delivering concise and timely feedback on findings of analysis to the design team and / or customer including (where appropriate) recommendations for modifications. Ensuring that analysis including assumptions made is recorded and stored for future reference.
- Planning of validation tests and production of test plans. Providing support to development of validation tests, test plans and conduct of tests as required. Use of trials results to validate the analytical models used and identify areas for improvement.
- Assisting in the development of solutions for other QinetiQ customers as required.
Joining QinetiQ you would:
- Work in multidisciplinary teams delivering projects to a wide range of military, government and commercial customers
- Determine the best way for our customers to exploit novel and emerging technologies
- Be part of a two year graduate programme allowing you to develop your technical expertise whilst getting the opportunity to experience a wider range of experience as well
- Get access to training to develop your technical and leadership skills
- Get the opportunity to support community projects, for example acting as a STEM ambassador to local schools
To apply for the role you MUST meet the following criteria;
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher degree in a related discipline, e.g. Mechanical Engineering, Automotive Engineering, Aeronautical Engineering, or similar.
- Ability to identify the approach, assumptions and mathematics required to solve an engineering problem.
- Attention to detail and a concern for accuracy
- Good written and verbal presentation skills with the ability to sustain a rational argument and present recommendations to a wide range of people.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Applications (e.g. Excel, Access, Word)
- Ability to use CAD software (ideally Solid Edge) to interrogate designs and identify required information such as dimensions of features.
- Be willing to learn, and have demonstrated an aptitude for learning at pace
- Hold full British Citizenship
- A keen interest or experience in automotive, military vehicles and/or off-road driving would be beneficial.
- An understanding of vehicle transmission systems would be beneficial.
Please be aware that this role is subject to both security & export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that you must hold full British citizenship and obtain the right to stay and work within the UK. Restrictions may also mean that any dual or previous nationalities held can affect the roles in which you can perform within QinetiQ.
As well as the opportunity to work in a company at the forefront of the technology sector you will also receive:
- Flexible Employee Benefits
- Annual Salary Review
- Recognition Scheme, volunteering - helping charities & local communities
- Up to 50% discount on meals across a wide range of restaurants
- Up to 15% off high street stores and 40% off cinema tickets
- Buy annual leave, flexible working, social events, employee assistance 24/7
- Gym and sports facilities on larger sites
- 25 days standard annual leave + bank holidays
- Cycle to work scheme
- Much more!