3 months ago
Mechanical Engineer - PSSR Lead
Hinkley Point C is one of the largest power generation projects in the world, and the first nuclear station for a generation to be built in the UK.
Within HPC, the Manufacturing Installation and Testing (MIT) function provides the project with expertise in surveillance and conformity assessment of the plant, through all stages of the development lifecycle.
The Pressure Regulation Branch sits within MIT and is responsible for developing and delivering plant compliance for pressure systems conformity and safety. The team interacts closely with many different stakeholders, including project managers, engineering design, manufacturing/installation companies and regulators.
Within the team, the role holder will use their Mechanical Engineering experience to lead the development of the strategy and delivery of compliance with the Pressure Systems Safety Regulation (PSSR) for HPC.
* Lead the development and the implementation of the project pressure systems strategy for PSSR
* Prepare and present relevant proposals for modifications as required
* Write or support the production of technical specifications, guidance or instructions within the area of responsibilities
* Place and manage the Competent Person contract, ensuring value and compliance
* Coordinate and monitor the engineering activities related to pressure systems within the project PSSR topics within the project
* Engage with project designers and suppliers to support the delivery of their activities to meet NNB requirements
* Coordinate and facilitate interfaces between all the stakeholders, to improve common understanding of the regulations and to deal in a timely manner with any arising issue related to it
* Support the implementation of PSSR regulation’s requirements within Contract Documentation and support NNB’s suppliers
Nature and Scope
It is expected that the post holder will use their own experience with complementary support from the project stakeholders to fully develop the PSSR strategy.
Regular interaction required with stakeholders like the project designer organisation and the Office of Nuclear Regulation.
UK Pressure Systems Safety Regulations applicable to both nuclear and non-nuclear plant:
* Compliance with the ACOP
* Analyse and categorise plant systems according to the PSSR
* Establish which parts of the pressure system are pressure vessels, protective devices, or pipework as defined in the Regulations
* Utilisation of technical resources already developed for pressure system compliance (NPE/NPS/PER).
* Appointment and management of Competent Person contract
* Utilising operational experience from other plants within the EDF fleet
* Definition of the Resources’ need for the compliance programme
* Establishment of a strategy for the Written Scheme of Examination
Maintain / develop knowledge and expertise in PSSR regulation, Pressure Equipment Directive, standards and practices by maintaining contact with Peer Group within EDF Group and maintaining knowledge of national and international standards and codes.
Capability to travel internationally was per business need.
The post holder may also be required to support other parts of the project from time to time in relation to the surveillance of contracts covering equipment, systems and services.
Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications, Experience
Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications, Experience
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate some or all of the following:
* Mechanical engineering design and integrity management principles for large scale nuclear, power generation, oil and gas or petrochemicals plants
* Pressure systems assocated with power generation, nuclear, oil and gas, petrochems plants
* Pressure systems regulations and how to comply - for example EC Pressure Equipment Directive (2014/68/EU), UK Pressure Equipment Regulations (PER) 2016, UK Pressure Systems Safety Regulations
* Pressurised water reactor principles and systems would be a plus
* UK Office of Nuclear Regulation (ONR) expectations would a plus
* Ability to be focussed on the requirements of the project, to show a ‘can-do’ approach to work and to work independently or with others to achieve the team goals
* Ability to interact with various stakeholders and to influence the internal teams and contractor partners
* Excellent communication skills via appropriate media
* Ability to report and to produce clear and concise reports
* Skills of listening, taking a balanced and measured view, engaging with the right people at the right time, and developing strong and long term relationships with stakeholders
* Have awareness of technical limitation and be able to involve others when required
* IT proficient user
* Degree qualified in a related Engineering or Science based discipline
* Chartered Member of appropriate professional institution would be a plus
* Significant engineering experience in large scale project or asset management, within a highly regulated industry sector such as Power Generation, Nuclear Industry or Oil &Gas / Petro-Chemical
* Relevant Mechanical Engineering experiences in relation with the engineering topics associated to pressure systems.
* Experience in multi-cultural industrial projects