7 months ago
Mechanical Engineer - Power
United Kingdom-North West
Date published: 6-Aug-2017
Opportunity: Experienced Hire
Business Line: Water
Business Plan: ENG
Functions in a lead role on engineering projects and proposals. Responsible for power plant mechanical thermal-fluid system design. Provide engineering related design, analysis, and studies for domestic or international power plant projects. Independently develops and applies advanced engineering techniques, concepts and approaches to unique engineering problems. May supervise engineering staff on projects of low to medium complexity, or serve as a technical specialist providing knowledge and expertise. May be responsible for developing, validating, and presenting specialist/technical output. Experience with gas turbine and combined cycle gas turbine project is a requirement.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Reviews general project objectives and establishes engineering requirements for the whole project or major system. This involves interpretation, definition of scope and development of concepts.
• Plans, develops, coordinates and directs the engineering effort for a major power plant system(s) of a large complex project or for a total power plant project of moderate scope.
• Prepares technical specifications for purchasing major power plant equipment and reviews technical specifications prepared by subordinates.
• Evaluates manufacturer's or contractor's proposals, data, drawings, reports, etc., for conformance with B&V criteria.
• Supervises a project engineering staff consisting of subordinate engineers, designers, drafters and other assigned support personnel. This includes staffing, work assignments, scheduling, personnel appraisals and work reviews.
• Develops and monitors project control systems including schedules, man-day budgets, lists, indexes, bills of material, etc.
• Oversees the coordination of engineering efforts as required to attain project objectives.
• Identifies and assesses improvement opportunities which will add value.
• Champions continuous improvement efforts.
• Assesses and supports the change management effects associated with the implementation of improvements.
• Proactively supports, encourages and facilitates staff to engage in continuous improvement activities.
Technical Solutions Team
Engineering delivery Teams
Other Project delivery team Leads
Power plant mechanical thermal-fluid system design Team
Travel within UK and possibly overseas Competencies
Managing self and others
Resilience and drive (working to tight deadlines)
Advance Technical Knowledge
Multi tasking ability (prioritize, organize, schedule work)
Works with others to deliver results
Takes personal responsibility to deliver results
Requires a bachelor's degree in engineering from either a recognized accredited program in their home country or the country in which the professional is practicing. All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
Expert knowledge working as an Engineering Lead on Power plant mechanical thermal-fluid system design
Expert knowledge of tools and systems used for Engineering Management.
Intermediate Word and Excel
Affiliation with recognized industry groups