about 1 month ago
Building Performance Engineering
We have an opportunity for a Mechanical Engineer to join our thriving Building Performance Engineering (BPE) division and contribute to our growth alongside our expanding team in London, SE1 3LE. At the time of writing, we are predominantly working from home, but there is an appetite to return to the collaborative and social environment that is a Hydrock office, when it is safe to do so.
Hydrock is an independently owned multi-disciplinary consultancy of circa 500 staff, operating out of 16 offices in the UK. We are one of The Sunday Times 100 Best Companies to Work For and a champion of wellbeing (latest winner of the Health and Wellbeing Leader of the Year award at the NCE100). We believe part of our success is looking after our people and our values help create a unique, dynamic, working environment. Feedback from our client listening programme and employee surveys indicates we are great to work with, whether providing a service to a client or rewarding employment to an employee!
Our Building Performance Engineering business brings a fresh approach to M&E, and offers the expertise required for world-class environmental design of buildings including acoustics, building physics, façade performance, mechanical and electrical systems, lighting design, occupational analysis, public health engineering, and low-to-zero carbon technologies.
We work across all sectors, including commercial, industrial, manufacturing, logistics, heritage, retail, leisure and residential for end user clients, investors, developers, architects, and project managers or engineer-led project teams. This diversity of work streams and the fact all team members work across every sector means we are constantly cross-pollinating ideas. Recent projects include: Horizon 120 Enterprise Centre (stage 2-4 design for a flexible office space in Essex, with café and seminar spaces), Birkbeck University (stage 3 design, creating services design sympathetic to historic features while providing a functional teaching and staff office space), and Apex 1 (a residential tower development in Vauxhall).
* HNC/HND/Degree or equivalent certified Mechanical Engineer with a strong track record
* Significant and credible experience in building services design
* Ability to take lead role on projects
* Liaison with design team, statutory authorities and contractors
* A comprehensive knowledge of current building regulations including gas & water regulations
* Be a self-motivated team player with good people skills
* Strong communication, analysis, technical design and drawing skills
* Marketing/business development skills
* Proficient in Revit and AutoCAD
Desirable (however, non-essential) requirements
* Experience undertaking design at pre planning stages.
* knowledge of building simulation software (e.g. IES VE)
* experience of producing EPC’s
What you can expect in general
Inspired and motivated colleagues. A great team, office and employer (check out our 2020 wrap up video here.) A genuine opportunity to achieve and to be recognised and rewarded on merit.
The remuneration package will include a competitive salary, employer pension contribution, 25 days annual leave (with the option to buy/sell up to five days), well-being bonus and a wide variety of flexible benefits. There are also little things like a paid day off for good causes and free fresh fruit in every office.
We have several team, office, regional and divisional events but ‘Challenge Day’ is when the whole company comes together for a paid day of fun! You can check out our most recent Challenge Day here!
A career with Hydrock offers you the chance to achieve your potential in a strongly people-focused and values-led business that provides great opportunities for professional and personal development.
A place where we can all thrive
At Hydrock we value our diversity and place wellbeing and inclusion for all at the heart of our culture. Offering our people flexibility is an important factor in achieving these aims, so we encourage you to talk to us about the working arrangement that best enables you to balance your personal commitments with your responsibilities at work. Please let us know your current and/or desired flexible working arrangements in your covering letter, so we can discuss how this could work for you in this role.
Hydrock is an Equal Opportunities Employer. We consider all applications on an individual’s alignment with the required qualifications, knowledge and experience outlined in this job advert, without regard to any of the protected characteristics. So that we can provide everyone with a fair selection, assessment and employment experience, please make us aware if you have any physical or neurodiverse condition for which appropriate reasonable adjustments can be made by us.
* Once you have completed your application through our careers site, we aim to review and respond to you within one week.
* If shortlisted, a member of our Recruitment Team will call you for an initial pre-screen by phone (typically 30 minutes) to help us assess your motivations and interest in the position and Hydrock.
* If you progress following this telephone pre-screen, you will be invited to attend a formal interview by video conference (Microsoft Teams) or in our offices (if possible and in line with Covid-19 guidelines). Please let us know what you feel comfortable with.