5 months ago
Job Ref: 3658
Job Title: Mechanical Design Engineer
Job type: Permanent Full Time
Location: Culham, Oxfordshire
Salary: £33,441 - £37,579 (inclusive of MPP) + excellent benefits including outstanding pension scheme
Closing date: 2nd December 2019
Are you an experienced mechanical design engineer?
Are you interested in having a direct contribution in shaping the future of the world`s energy?
Nuclear fusion, the process that powers the Sun, can play a big part in our carbon-free energy future and we need your help to make this a reality.
RACE (Remote Applications in Challenging Environments) is a business unit within the UK Atomic Energy Authority specialising in remote handling and automated systems. As part of the global programme for fusion, RACE is developing remote handling systems for the next generations of power stations.
We offer a range of excellent benefits including a total of 30.5 days annual leave (including bank holidays, privilege days and time off between Christmas and New Year), a generous pension, a range of personal and professional development opportunities, an on-site sports and social club and much more! Please look through the attached application pack where they are fully explained.
We are at the centre of the UK effort to apply novel technologies to all challenging and harsh environments for the protection of people and advancement of industry. RACE designs, procures, commissions, operates and maintains the wide range equipment which is used for the maintenance and implementation of enhancements to various fusion reactors as well as other international projects.
Key areas of accountability will include:
-Creation and design of effective remote handling mechanical robotic devices and tooling from concept through systems specifications to detail designs
-Liaison with customers to report of project progress and to agree priorities
-Project management of design projects within budgetary and schedule limits
-Managing the acceptance, testing and commissioning of complex remote systems
For more information on RACE, please view the following video:
At UKAEA we strive to make everyone feel welcome and fully supported. Our Ambassadors are actively promoting and advancing diversity and inclusion in the organisation to help make our Organisation an employer of choice. UKAEA has a graded career structure and our mentoring scheme will enable you to reach your true potential.
The UKAEA hosts and manages the JET nuclear fusion energy experiment on behalf of the EU and is also home to the UK`s MAST-U fusion energy experiment. UKAEA also works with industry and other third parties to develop new technologies currently in Remote Handling and Materials research. Following recent UK funding two new centres of excellence in tritium fuel handling and component testing and validation are being built. The culture at UKAEA promotes research, innovation and leading edge technological excellence, whilst investing in its people.
Knowledge skills and experience
-Engineering council recognised mechanical engineering degree or equivalent.
-Experience in design substantiation using hand calculation and finite element techniques.
-Competent in generating technical documents and specifications.
-Experience in using 3D CAD systems.
-Ability to work as part of a larger team or group
-Membership of a professional engineering institution
-Experience in complex, high technology systems, particularly in the field of remote handling. An understanding of systems engineering techniques applicable to large complex projects.
-An understanding of the design constraints particular to fusion systems and particularly those imposed by nuclear environments.
- Engineers may be required from time to time to enter radioactive controlled areas to support the diagnosis and implantation of corrective action on JET equipment. Appropriate PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) and training will be provided in advance.
- Engineers may be requested to be on call to support operations.
- Engineers may be occasionally required to travel and work offsite in support of RACE project responsibilities and maybe asked to temporarily co-locate with our business partners
Please note all employees working at the UK Atomic Energy Authority will be required to complete an online Disclosure Certificate application as part of their clearance - The Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) checks will show the details of all current criminal convictions (convictions considered unspent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974) or will confirm that there are no such convictions.
- As part of the selection process you may be expected to complete work based simulation exercises and a personality profile either online or onsite.
- Please be advised that this vacancy may close earlier than stated if large or sufficient numbers of applications are received.
-Please note UKAEA do not pay travel expenses for interviews.
- The UK Atomic Energy Authority actively promotes equality and values diversity in our workforce. We operate a number of flexible working arrangements (such as part-time working/job share/home working). Flexible working may be available with this role, please discuss with the hiring manager or HR if you have any concerns.