6 months ago
Mechanical Design Engineer
Airbus Defence and Space Farnborough
Airbus is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2017, it generated revenues of € 67 billion and employed a workforce of around 130,000. Airbus offers the most comprehensive range of passenger airliners from 100 to more than 600 seats. Airbus is also a European leader providing tanker, combat, transport and mission aircraft, as well as Europe’s number one space enterprise and the world’s second largest space business. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions worldwide.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
Description of the job
Airbus Zephyr is at the leading edge of technology and constantly looking for improvements and new developments to enhance this HAPS (High Altitude Pseudo Satellite) capability. Airbus Defence and Space are looking for a Mechanical Design Engineer to assist in development and delivery of Zephyr, lightweight high altitude pseudo satellite aircraft, and associated test and mechanical ground systems.
The successful applicant will need to be eligible to gain UK SC Security Clearance to undertake the role.
Tasks & accountabilities
A vacancy for a Mechanical Design Engineer has arisen within Airbus Defence & Space in Farnborough.The successful applicant will join TUMZE - Zephyr
* Establish detailed design solutions as part of a multi-disciplinary product development teams, co-located in Farnborough
* Take responsibility for own work packages
* Provide technical inputs and advise wider product development team and peers on design progress and issues
* Work closely with Production teams and Procurement to ensure consideration of DFx aspects early in the design lifecycle.
* Continuous improvement. Proactively work towards the improvement quality of outputs and efficiency of working processes.
* Support anomaly investigations and their resolution, in accordance with internal non-conformance control process
* Key challenges include the need to maintain good engineering discipline and control, while proactively supporting a dynamic and closely integrated development team, that are responding to a new and evolving market place.
* Customer schedules are frequently challenging demanding a flexible attitude to working.
This role will involve some travel for business and as such you must be able to travel accordingly.
This job requires an awareness of any potential compliance risks and a commitment to act with integrity, as the foundation for the Company’s success, reputation and sustainable growth.
We are looking for applicants with the following skills and experience:
* ONC or other relevant qualification in mechanical or production engineering
* Proven experience in developing new product solutions for cutting edge applications.
* Interpretation of system technical requirements into finished product
* Good understanding of mechanical engineering design and practices
* Extensive CAD modelling experience ideally using Solid Works.
* In depth knowledge of drawing standards specifically technical product specification BS8888.
* Proven track record in space / aerospace industry.
* Knowledge of composite fabrication techniques advantageous
Essential Personal Qualities and Behavioural Requirements
* Planning own work, prioritising tasks, formulating assembly sequences
* Ability to work flexibly as part of a team
* Reliable in respect of quality and timeliness of deliverable items.
* Careful and organised approach to tasks.
* Quality conscious working method
* Some travel to support flight trials overseas may be required