3 months ago
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Arm is building operating systems, cloud services, tools and a developer ecosystem to simplify the creation and deployment of IoT solutions possible at scale. Mbed OS is our state-of-the-art and feature-rich embedded operating system specifically for IoT devices. It is designed from the start to provide a rich set of features to provide device connectivity, device security and developer productivity. Mbed OS enables seamless Cloud integration and device management capabilities that will power billions of IoT devices of the future.
We are looking for a talented engineering lead with experience developing early stage bootloaders that allowed in field updates for IoT devices. You should be passionate about writing software that hundreds of thousands of products will be based on. You must have a strong understanding and thoughts on how to take advantage of co-designing an embedded software platform and its tools giving the best in class experience for creating microcontroller applications, making it an intuitive and productive experience for all types of developers. You’ll lead a small team and work in conjunction with the rest of our engineering team and partners ensuring our customers and developer community are successful adopting our device management services.
The Internet of Things is the next computer revolution, where devices become internet connected citizens themselves, creating all sorts of disruptive opportunities for society and business. ARM has setup a new division to help realise these opportunities by creating software and services focused on IoT enablement. Our team is building Mbed OS, a secure, low power and connected open-source operating systems for Arm Cortex-M SoCs that can be used by 100,000s of developers creating these connected IoT devices.
You will lead the team developing, supporting and enhancing our early stage bootloader specifically targeting IoT devices and their unique needs. This means lots of software in assembly, C, C++ and Python. Day to day duties may include:
* Technically leading a small development team
* Delivering key roadmap items for our secure boot process and boot loader in Mbed OS
* Working with internal teams to deliver a full Update service delivered through Mbed Cloud, along with tools and workflow optimizations for developers creating application firmware
* Working with customers reviewing their system requirements, getting them across the line into production and supporting them as they remotely manage devices.
* Help internal and external developers identify points of failure in a system, solve problems and fix bugs.
* Creating documentation and application notes to show how to safely and securely perform updates.
* You will also contribute to the larger full stack open-source OS and tools that we are developing.
Experience and Skills
You need to have in-depth experience working with hardware and software for microcontrollers, have developed early stage boot software and be very experienced with how they work. Getting excited about things like SoC architecture, flash controllers, memory technologies and helping people solve problems comes naturally to you. You should have a good handle on filesystem principals and working with software for microcontrollers (preferably Arm Cortex-M) at the hardware level. Experience having been a project lead or responsible for a medium sized software project or designing battery powered products is a plus.
You also need to be proficient in multiple of the following areas:
* Cortex-M microcontroller architecture and peripherals
* Filesystems and memory technologies suitable for microcontrollers
* Compilation process and tools, C libraries and microcontroller startup
* Thumb Assembly, C, C++, Python, compiler optimizations and code generation
* Flash programming methodologies and impacts on a system
* Attack surface and vectors for remotely updatable devices
* Toolchains and IDEs such as Keil MDK and IAR Embedded Workbench
* Clear technical communicator and considered the guru in your current role
A successful candidate will demonstrate the skills and behaviours that can complement our team and ensure the success of 100,000s of developers.
In your covering letter, please take the time expand on the experience and skills you have in relation to the things we are looking for in this position. This also helps show us you have taken the time to read and understand the job opportunity and have decided to apply on that basis.
Please also feel free to share links to any public code or projects you may have created.
You will be based at ARM in Cambridge UK.
You are expected to have a degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or a relevant subject.
At Arm, we are guided by our core beliefs that reflect our unique culture and guide our decisions, defining how we work together to defy ordinary and shape extraordinary:
We not I
* Take daily responsibility to make the Global Arm community thrive
* No individual owns the right answer. Brilliance is collective
* Information is crucial, share it
* Realise that we win when we collaborate — and that everyone misses out when we don’t (what does collaborate)
Passion for progress
* Our differences are our strength. Widen and mix up the pool of people you connect with
* Difficult things can take unexpected directions. Stick with it
* Make feedback positive and expansive, not negative and narrow
* The essence of progress is that it can’t stop. Grow with it and own your own progress
Be your brilliant self
* Be quirky not egocentric
* Recognise the power in saying ‘I don’t know’
* Make trust our default position
* Hold strong opinions lightly
Your particular benefits package will depend on position and type of employment and may be subject to change. Your package will be confirmed on offer of employment. Arm’s benefits program provides permanent employees with the opportunity to stay innovative and healthy, ensure the wellness of their families, and create a positive working environment.
* Annual Bonus Plan
* Discretionary Cash Award
* Group Personal Pension Plan with enhanced company contribution
* Medical, Travel, Health & Life Insurances
* Holiday, 25 days annual leave with option to buy an additional 5 days per year
* Sabbatical, 20 paid days every four-year of service
* Volunteering, One (1) paid working day each year (TeamARM)
* Varies by location: cycle to work, free car parking, gym on site, team and social events
Arm® technology is at the heart of a computing and connectivity revolution that is transforming the way people live and businesses operate. From the unmissable to the invisible; our advanced, energy-efficient processor designs are enabling the intelligence in 86 billion silicon chips and securely powering products from the sensor to the smartphone to the supercomputer. With more than 1,000 technology partners including the world’s most famous business and consumer brands, we are driving Arm innovation into all areas compute is happening inside the chip, the network and the cloud.
With offices around the world, Arm is a diverse community of dedicated, innovative and highly talented professionals. By enabling an inclusive, meritocratic and open workplace where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unique contributions to Arm's success in the global marketplace.
About the office
At our global HQ in Cambridge, England we house the majority of our engineering and our corporate groups that deliver our extraordinary success. As a world-renowned university town, Cambridge boasts both a beautiful countryside and a historical town center. Local activities include punting on the River Cam and the many museums that reside within Cambridge University.
Cambridge, UK - Global HQ
110 Fulbourn Road
See on Google maps