6 months ago
Role Title and Location: Mathematical Modeller/Analyst - Lethality
Job Ref No: P7112
MBDA Level of role: 3 or 4 (depending on experience)
Reports to: Lethality Team Lead, Warheads Centre of Excellence
An opportunity has arisen in the newly established Complex Warhead Centre of Excellence (CW CofEx) for a Modelling Engineer to work in the Lethality and Requirements Authority team in Stevenage. The role will involve modelling and lethality performance assessment, and the specification of lethal packages, which are comprised of Fuzing and Warhead sub-systems.
What is Lethality?
Lethality is critical in determining the capability of our products and ensuring we achieve target destruction with limited collateral damage. Lethality encompasses many aspects of the missile but focuses on the warhead and fuzing subsystems. The main the contributing factors are:
* Guidance accuracy
* Target proximity detection
* Warhead detonation optimisation
Key Tools and skills required:
* Mathematical modelling
* Algorithm design
* Finite element modelling
* Responsible to the Lethality Team Lead for activities covering Fuze and Warhead sub-systems, and modelling of Lethality Performance.
* Development of lethality modelling, performance algorithm optimisation, and data analysis tools with significant visualisation (principally in MATLAB) to analyse the lethality model results.
* Lead studies to provide contributions to project performance statements, to enhance and optimise weapon performance.
* Provide innovation into the domain to anticipate and derive emerging needs. Participate in or lead internal and external research programmes.
* Take ownership of the missile kill probability and negotiate with related domains (such as Homing and Guidance) to define requirement flowdown.
* Liaise with subcontractors and in-house teams to ensure quality products are developed, and that contractor models are suitable for integration into our overall Lethality Model.
* Provide close liaison with MoD technical expertise and Research agencies to ensure customer satisfaction with our products.
* Prepare and give seminars/presentations to demonstrate Lethality and Warhead department capabilities to internal and external customers.
What are the benefits for you?
* As lethality is the final performance measure of our weapons, you will have a high role profile, reporting at senior Functional, Project and Customer meetings.
* You will develop a high level of personal domain expertise of lethality assessment techniques, modelling, fuzing and warhead technologies.
* You will extend leadership to a range of specialists within MBDA and further engineering experts within the Customer and Supplier community.
* You will need and/or have opportunity to develop skills in systems engineering, requirements management, programme planning and management, budget setting and control, risk management, resource management.
What’s great about joining this team?
* The CW CofEx is an exciting new department organised within Technical Directorate. Its role is to define requirements, design Complex Warheads and model the behaviour of the lethal function for UK and French programmes.
* The CW CofEx has over 40 professional scientists and engineers in France (LPR) and UK (Stevenage & Bolton) undertaking design, simulation & modelling, trials requirements and supplier management.
* The team applies high levels of expertise to develop and apply new and innovative technologies and engineering tools.
* You will get opportunities to demonstrate your capability in a role which has high visibility across MBDA, and will get experience of dealing with the MBDA Customer community and MoD expertise.
* You will have the opportunity to become expert in Lethality, Matlab, Hydrocode Modelling (e.g. ANSYS) and Program Management.
* There are development opportunities towards a Technical Expert or to Chief Design Engineer
Who and what we are looking for?
* Relevant Engineering or Science based Degree (or equivalent), with a strong mathematical capability.
* Substantial, demonstrable analytical and problem solving skills.
* Good engineering judgment.
* A passion to achieve success
* Good written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills supported by office IT software skills.
* Application of appropriate personal behaviours including self-motivation, initiative, leadership, adaptability, planning and organisation.
* Engineering experience in defence & aerospace products, particularly but not essentially missiles, weapon systems and defence equipment.
* Experience of performance modelling, MATLAB modelling tools, semi-empirical models & mathematical toolboxes.
* Understanding of project and budget management, and proven ability to work to tight timescales, within financial and technical constraints.
* Experience of working with sub-contractors, suppliers and MoD customers.
* Specialist knowledge of aspects of lethality, warheads, and fuzing.
What would you get?
* Competitive salaries, flexible working, paid overtime (subject to level), a comprehensive pension scheme, discounted private healthcare scheme, sporting activities, fantastic site facilities, bonus schemes (subject to level), and superb learning and development opportunities.
Please note thatin order to apply for MBDA UK opportunities you will need to be eligible forSC (Secret Level) UK Security Clearance.