about 1 year ago
Materials Testing Technician
Requisition ID :2019-64532
Work Location :GB-Cheshire-Warrington
Department / Discipline : Geotechnical / Materials Testing
Position Type : Staff / Permanent
Market / Sector (Candidate Portal Searching)
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood’s nuclear business supports customers in the energy generation, new build, decommissioning and defence sectors.
Our nuclear business has offices in Knutsford and Birchwood in Cheshire, Gloucester, Gloucestershire, Dorchester, Harwell, Glasgow, Newcastle, Bristol, Cumbria, Reading and London. We also have a strong international presence to support our growing operations in France, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Poland, South Africa and Japan.
Our reputation for safely delivering quality projects on time and on budget is well recognised in the industries we serve. We have proven expertise in managing large, complex projects, a global reach and long-standing UK presence, strong relationships with our clients and cutting-edge processes and technologies.
What that means to you is the opportunity to experience a real variety of projects, working with people from different backgrounds. You'll work closely with our clients and committed to achieving outstanding results in a stimulating and quality-driven environment.
Wood Nuclear are currently recruiting for a Materials Testing Technician. The successful candidate will join the Materials Testing team and will be based at our Birchwood Park office, near Warrington in Cheshire.
This is a laboratory-based role, operating mechanical testing machines, to determine materials properties of metals. These tests include operation at elevated temperatures, operation in a radiation environment on active specimens and testing in environmental chambers. The operation of peripheral equipment, analysis of data and some interpretation of results are also required.
Wood Nuclear includes one of the UK’s leading Structural Integrity businesses, which undertakes research and consultancy on a range of structural and mechanical issues for nuclear power generators and other industries. The predominant activities of the department are a mixture of consulting, research, technical assessment and testing.
* Perform mechanical testing activities under guidance from task managers.
* Tests include tensile, fracture toughness, fatigue, creep, creep crack growth and other bespoke testing activities.
* Operation of peripheral equipment for recording of data.
* Follow written procedures and work instructions and maintain accurate quality assurance records for work performed.
* Completion of tasks to time, cost and quality to meet both internal and external customer requirements.
* Responsible for the safe operation of rigs and for adopting safe working practices.
* To work flexibly as part of a scientific team.
Skills / Qualifications
* Served a recognised mechanical apprenticeship, or have equivalent experience.
* Experience of working in a Mechanical Testing Laboratory performing one or more of the tests listed above.
* Experience of operating servo-hydraulic and/or servo-electric testing machines, including associated controllers, data acquisition devices and software
* Knowledge of the theory behind mechanical testing techniques and International Testing Standards
* Experience of safety principles and controls within a laboratory environment
* Experience of operating a test programme under well-defined conditions and to a high level of quality
What do you get?
As well as exciting roles on projects in the UK and abroad; in a supportive and professional work environment, these are some of the additional benefits you can expect at Wood:
* A competitive reward package
* Work life balance – We offer flexible working; we have core and flex hours in all our permanent office locations.
* Family friendly benefits – maternity, paternity, adoption and parental leave.
* International opportunities - As an 60,000 strong community of colleagues operating in 60 countries you will have access to international career opportunities.
* For your peace of mind we offer life insurance benefit on top of a contributory pension scheme, as well as income protection and life assurance benefit.
* To support you throughout your career you will have access to an Employee Assistance programme, which can offer anything from financial advice to mental health support and counselling sessions.
For our communities:
* We give back to our communities, we have a matched funding community investment programme. In our global business our people are showing commitment and courage to care for the communities we operate in. You can do this by supporting causes and raising funds for charities that are important to you, your colleagues and your local area.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 60,000 people, with revenues of over $10 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets, including the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, power & process, environment and infrastructure, clean energy, mining, nuclear, and general industrial sectors.
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.