9 months ago
Materials & Processes Engineer
Airbus Defence and Space Portsmouth
Airbus is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2017, it generated revenues of € 67 billion and employed a workforce of around 130,000. Airbus offers the most comprehensive range of passenger airliners from 100 to more than 600 seats. Airbus is also a European leader providing tanker, combat, transport and mission aircraft, as well as Europe’s number one space enterprise and the world’s second largest space business. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions worldwide.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
Description of the job
A vacancy for a Materials & Processes Engineer has arisen within Airbus Defence & Space in Portsmouth. The successful applicant will join TEIME.
The Materials & Processes team mission is to provide materials, mechanical parts and processes engineering support to the various business unit projects as required. This role is integral in contributing to the team mission by assuring the quality of materials and processes used in Airbus products and the successful applicant will report directly into the respective Materials Engineering Manager.
The successful applicant will be subject to UK Security Clearance in order to undertake related work in accordance with business needs.
Tasks & accountabilities
Your main tasks and responsibilities will include:
* To provide a support as a technical authority for material and process related qualifications, approvals and any process related issues/non-conformances to internal and external customers alike.
* Act as the responsible materials engineer for one or more project or product teams, acting as the single contact point for the resolution of all materials and processes issues.
* Interfacing with internal and external customers to ensure that all materials and processes are fully approved within project timescales and with respect to customer quality requirements.
* To instigate and manage to completion materials and processes selection, development, evaluation and qualification programmes.
* To prepare declared materials and processes lists, ensuring that all qualifications for both materials and processes have been achieved by the Critical Design Reviews.
* Actively participate in transnational meetings to drive the standardisation of process links between sited.
* Develop a position as the main technical interface with ESA for review and development of component mounting standards.
* To review and approve, where necessary, supplier or subcontractor materials and processes documentation.
* To monitor the technical performance of suppliers and subcontractors participating in audits as required.
* To provide training and assist in the development of other members of the department.
This role will involve some European and worldwide travel for business and as such you must be able to travel accordingly.
* Materials and processes knowledge in relevant fields such as: electronics technology, soldering and SMT, micro-joining techniques, printed circuit boards, welding, metal finishing, metallurgy, paints, coatings and adhesives. Good working knowledge of failure analysis techniques.
* Good interpersonal skills, communication and presentation capability.
* Facilitation skills for leading problem solving and risk analysis.
* Autonomy, ability to work with minimum supervision.
Required work experience:
* Experience of working in a controlled, high technology environment, ideally Aerospace or Defence (minimum of 3 - 5 years).
* Multidisciplinary team working.
* Transnational awareness.
* Appreciation of audits and continuous improvement.
* Awareness of health and safety, environment and COSHH.