5 months ago
Closing date: 19 th August 2019
Cummins is a place big enough to coach and develop a global workforce and create the world’s leading clean, engine technology. We’re also small enough for you to find your fit and personal passion with a team of dependable, innovative thinkers who are developing their careers within a diverse, inclusive, empowering environment.
Learn more about this role and how you can begin Working Right .
Our Corporate Business Unit delivers reliable, durable, high performing products to our global partners. Working in an innovative space, you’ll develop high tech solutions that will fuel your advanced career skill set and empower you to own your career. Our integrated businesses demand the talents and creativity of individuals with a wide range of skills and experience.
This is an exciting opportunity in Milton Keynes for a Senior Materials Engineer.
Cummins Electrified Power are a leading provider of flexible battery solutions for demanding automotive and power applications .
Your impact will be seen in these and other ways:
* Using your technical understanding of materials – properties, manufacturing feasibility, durability and cost – you will select materials for the development of battery pack enclosures.
* With an advanced knowledge of aluminium, mild and stainless steel, copper, plastics, composite materials, extruded or cast parts, you will work with mechanical design and development teams to create safe, durable and cost-effective mounting and enclosures for high-voltage battery assemblies.
* You will utilise your knowledge of automotive product emergence processes to and project-engineering to manage the full project lifecycle – from initial requirements gathering and specification, to supplier nomination and management, through to test, validation and final sign-off.
* You will critique material test data (via laboratory results or supplier datasheets) for qualification in structural applications. Further, you will use data to aid Finite Element Analysis correlation work streams & physical test instrumentation.
* You will liaise and develop relationships with potential suppliers to determine product and engineering suitability of materials for industrialised applications.
Skills and Experience Required:
* Component Material and Process Selection – the ability to evaluate component requirements (form and function) to identify base material and processing options;
* Commanding knowledge of metallic materials as well as an understanding of polymer, composite, adhesive & sealant material failure modes & engineering characteristics.
* Experience of specifying and managing effective test plans to validate selected material and processes against specification documents.
* Material Characterisation – Interpretation of mechanical, chemical, microstructural and physical properties using laboratory equipment to confirm compliance to function, and correlation of these properties with field or component test results to determine robustness;
* Characterisation and thorough understanding of mechanisms for material failure, fracture and buckling.
* Knowledge of, and adherence to, industrial standards and test procedures for qualification of materials & various joining technologies (i.e – adhesive bonding, fusion welding).
* Experience in writing and developing Materials Engineering Standards for internal use.
* Experience of using DFMEA to ensure reliability and product safety; analysis of component failures to understand material limitations, manufacturing constraints and potential design risks.
* Joining and Bonding Science - familiarity with appropriate bonding techniques considering material type(s), surface finish, applied loads and available bonding area to generate a durable bonded joint.
* Understanding of simulation and design analysis methods, ideally using Ansys, for correlation to Finite Element Analysis via physical testing.
Required Education, Licenses or Certifications
* University degree in Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science, Automotive or Aeronautical Engineering required. Masters degrees or PhD qualification in a materials-related field would be highly beneficial,
* OR, equivalent vocational experience in a relevant role
Compensation and Benefits
In return we can offer a base salary of £30-35,000 (dependent on experience).
Plus a wide range of competitive benefits including:
* Cummins Contributory Pension Scheme
* Variable annual bonus
* Assisted Healthcare scheme
* Cummins Rewards
* Cycle to work scheme
* Flexible working hours
* Opportunity to develop professionally including IMechE MPDS scheme, with the potential for support with further education and professional qualifications ongoing.
At Cummins, we are dedicated to diversity in the workplace and we are committed to a policy of treating all our employees and job applicants equally. No employee or potential employee will receive less favourable treatment because of any protected characteristic.