about 1 year ago
30 Apr 2019
40 hours per week
Welwyn Garden City (Remus)
Working within Technical Engineering, supporting the Engineering product development team to deliver technical innovation products into a series of fast moving programmes.
The MD(manufacturing development) engineer will work with product development to ensure that all designs are optimised for manufacture. They will act as the primary technical interface with the supply chain supporting technical interactions with suppliers during pilot build and early transition into manufacture. They will identify key SPC parameters and work with suppliers to ensure adequate monitoring and reporting. In conjunction with the NPI engineering and product quality they will ensure that appropriate corrective actions have been put in place at the supplier for issues identified during pilot build.
Role and Responsibilities
This position will be to ensure that all products from Product Development Engineering have been optimised for manufacture and the manufacturing process is to a suitable standard.
* The MD Engineer will work with technical leads within the group to ensure that design for manufacturability and maintenance is considered during the design phase.
* Be aware of any innovations in manufacture that could be taken advantage off.
* Work in conjunction with the supply chain to identify technical requirements for a supplier.
* Interact and build relationships with suppliers within the scope of the MD engineer role.
* Work in conjunction with the reliability engineer to ensure product reliability and where necessary corrective actions have taken place.
* Participate in and lead value engineering project.
* Identify key critical parameters to be monitored at the manufactures site and agree test and reporting methods.
* Ensure that the suppliers test capability is at an acceptable level, including process such as measurement systems analysis where appropriate.
* Produce process capability charts and reports
* In conjunction with the NPI(new product introduction) engineering and product quality ensure that any manufacturing issues identified in pilot trials have been addressed.
* Actively participate in the Patent process for Ocado Engineering.
* The place of work is Welwyn Garden City, but the role will require regular presence at other UK and international locations.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
We are looking for someone with:
* An engineering/ science qualification, to HND or Degree level.
* Experience design for manufacture in areas such as industrial equipment, instrumentation, high volume manufacture or FMCG.
* Experience in value engineering.
* Experience in continuous process improvement.
* Understanding of process capability, statical process controls and critical parameter management.
* Ability to build relationships from shop floor to management level, identify and clearly communicate key information and tailor the communication for the audience.
* Prioritise issues, communicate reasoning and negotiate for resources when needed.
* Both technical and commercial awareness.
* Ability to write work instruction and technical reports.
* Ability to design & propose alternative solutions when faced with barriers.
* Understanding of product reliability and reliability testing.
We will always aim to respond to everyone who applies for one of our roles. Sometimes though we have a lot of applicants and it takes us a little while to get back to everyone. If you haven’t heard from us within two weeks of your application, then you should take it that you have not been successful on this occasion and accept our apologies that we didn’t manage to get back to you personally.