about 1 year ago
To manage the maintenance of Network Rail owned assets including but not limited to the Robel 69.70/4-UK Mobile Maintenance System fleet to ensure that maximum availability and reliability is achieved. Ensure that the equipment is maintained in accordance with relevant standards, procedures and legislation.
Manage and motivate a specialist team of maintenance supervisors and maintenance technicians to ensure the efficient and effective maintenance and repair of plant, supporting the delivery of Network Rail projects that require the use of the MMS fleet.
To deliver the required work in a safe and effective manner, conforming to contract specification and to provide the first level response to any machine failures, whilst ensuring a high level of cleanliness, reliability and performance is achieved at all times.
* Reporting to the Head of Engineering and Compliance, working in close collaboration with the Plant Director, Plant Operations Manager and Network Rail Fleet Engineers.
* Collaborate effectively with and respond to the needs of the Network Rail MMS supervisors whilst working as an integral part of the NR delivery team
* Fulfil the duties of on-call for the purposes of technical assistance and logistical assistance
* Adhere to applicable Colas maintenance policy and plans for the MMS fleet.
* Respond proactively to NIRs, changes to legislation and standards, etc.
* Ensure that the fleet asset management database FAMS/MAXIMO is promptly updated
* Manage preventative and reactive maintenance to maximise plant availability and reliability
* Investigate and report faults, identifying fault trends in line with latest industry best practice
* Monitor and report on maintenance performance and machine reliability
* Propose modifications or improvements to maintenance processes and regimes to deliver performance and financial benefits
* Work with the Colas Rail Systems depot manager and depot supervisors to ensure movements of plant are co-ordinated and the necessary pit space is booked.
* Oversee the activity of maintenance supervisors and technicians to maximise performance and ensure compliance with all relevant technical, quality, environmental and safety standards
* Ensure that manpower levels and staff competences are adequate to maintain the MMS fleet with optimum efficiency
* Oversee the professional training and development of operating and maintenance staff, and review training programmes
* Ensure that plant maintenance competence standards are adequately maintained
* Establish plant safety performance objectives and ensure they are met via an audit programme
* Liaise with manufacturers to share best practice and innovation
* Carry out safety inspections ensuring that safety initiatives are implemented in a timely manner
* Work within a prescribed budget as authorised by the POM
* Identify innovative procedures and processes that could be developed to improve machine performance, output or quality to enhance services for the customer
* Establish key foreseeable delivery risks and initiate appropriate mitigation measures
* Ensure an adequate on board supply of appropriate tools and components to enable effective and timely maintenance and operational repairs of the MMS
* Other reasonable duties as required from time to time.
Specific Safety Responsibilities
* Participate in regular monthly safety briefs with the POM
* Hold monthly safety meeting with direct reports including monthly cascade safety brief
* Ensure safety task briefs are robustly briefed to the MMS team
* Ensure that competency assessments are undertaken as defined by the competence manager
* Ensure that mandatory training and competency certification for staff is valid and documented
* Identify specific training needs for staff to ensure correct competency for duties undertaken
* Ensure that adequate resources are planned for work sites, informing the POM of any concerns
* Ensure staff are issued with mandatory and where required supplementary Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
* Ensure that mandatory PPE is worn by all staff as required
* Ensure that statutory safety and relevant company safety documents are displayed
* Assist the Safety, Quality and Environmental Manager in producing and implementing Key Performance Indicator's for monitoring safety performance
* Assist the SQE Manager in developing generic risk assessments and updating existing ones
* Carry out accident and incident reporting and undertake investigations as instructed and in accordance with the Safety Management System
* Ensure the safe and effective operation of the machines, keeping the POM updated on production progress, machine progress and any reportable accidents or incidents
* Ensure that high levels of safety, performance, attendance and behavioural standards are achieved and maintained
* Promote through proactive participation, improvements in Safety, Health and Environmental management in line with the objectives set by the POM
* Ensure accurate and prompt reporting of all faults in accordance with Colas Rail procedures
* Ensure that any reactive maintenance carried out is promptly recorded and reported to the maintenance supervisor in a timely manner
* Ensure that the MMS fleet are maintained to a high standard of cleanliness both inside and out
* Ensure an adequate on board supply of appropriate welfare materials and supplies to facilitate the highest standards of welfare
* Ensure that all on-board welfare including toilets, sinks and cupboards are kept in a clean condition, and to escalate matters if the facilities are found to be in an unacceptable condition
* Ensure that all Colas Rail and Network Rail daily work returns, forms and processes are completed in an accurate and timely manner
* Report to Colas Control any accidents, incidents, emergencies or operational issues, including booking on/off duty, notification of exceedances, etc.
The job holder will:
* Have safety as the primary consideration in all aspects of delivering and managing the people, process and equipment in Colas Rail
* Have a minimum of 5 years management/supervisory experience in an operational railway role
* Have a minimum 3 years experience of maintenance of large rail plant or systems
* Have excellent planning, organisational and communication skills
* Have previous project management/engineering experience and experience in track renewals
* Have knowledge and experience of railway rules, regulations & standards, and safety legislation
* Have knowledge of Health and Safety at Work Act
* Hold a Personal Track Safety qualification
* Be computer literate
It is desirable that the person will:
* Have experience of managing and developing staff
* Have a mechanical engineering background
* Possess a reasonable knowledge of the on track machines operated by Colas.
* Possess and display the attributes of the five E's; Energy, Energize, Edge, Execute and Engage
* Be assertive, confident and fair when dealing with any business issues
* Have good geographical knowledge of the railway network and infrastructure
* Understanding of the railway operating environment and railway planning systems
* Be qualified to drive a 3500kg GVW vehicle
* Be trained in risk management or risk assessment techniques
* Understand commercial processes and requirements
* Have a knowledge of accident investigation techniques