11 months ago
Maintenance Fitter for Cement - Padeswood
Working at Hanson is about being part of something big – with more than 300 sites across the UK and over 3,500 employees in a wide range of roles, Hanson has opportunities for all. Belonging to the international HeidelbergCement Group which has a leading global position in aggregates, cement and concrete, everyone is part of one team that is committed to achieving the companys visions.
Our staff understand that what we do is much more than “just” produce materials, we are vital to ensuring that roads can be built and maintained, we form the foundations of buildings such as hospitals and we are part of major projects that will shape the future of the UK.
One of our key aims is to be a leading sustainable business that is committed to being fair, respectful and inclusive. Hanson is an equal opportunities employer.
Description of Team / Department
Padeswood Cement Works started up in 1949 following the post-war requirement for cement then owned by the Tunnel Portland Cement Company. In 1986 the company became Castle Cement Limited and then, following the acquisition of Hanson Aggregates by Heidelberg Cement, Hanson and Castle were merged to become Hanson Cement.
Initially there were two wet kilns that were supplemented by a dry kiln in the mid-1960s.
In 1998 HeidelbergCement announced that kiln 4 was to be built, which is a modern FLSmidth five-stage pre-calciner, with an in-line calciner and a downdraft calciner that was specifically designed to burn alternative fuels. The kiln was commissioned in 2006 and the three older kilns were decommissioned. Recent capital investment in the plant has seen the installation of a plastic packing machine for cement, the re-commissioning of the paper packing machine, an upgrade in the capability to use recycled paper and plastics as a fuel and an increase in the milling capacity.
Purpose of / Responsibilities of the role
Carry out maintenance and repair operations in accordance with the operational and maintenance plan/budget in order to Improve operational reliability and availability of the plant and machinery at the lowest effective maintenance costs for all equipment, installations and buildings on site.
Description of the main tasks
To provided mechanical repair, maintenance skills including fault identification, analysis to facilitate repairs, improvements including inspections adjustments and calibration to agreed standards set by the company using all or some of the following:
Documentation, Instructions, Plans and Drawings
* To be able to work from written instruction, understand complex system drawings and plans and produce were necessary detailed sketches, drawings and plans.
* Working knowledge of hydraulic and pneumatic system, with the ability read and understand system drawing and to identify faults and facilitate rectification work where required.
Welding / Fabrication
* Where applicable and a core duty have the relevant skills, experience and knowledge to carry complex welding and fabrication processes, using bending, folding, rolling and cutting machines and all welding processes available i.e. mixed gases, manual arc, MIG and TIG, Arc-air, systems.
* Have a good skill level and ability in general bench fitting including fitting of keys, shaft pulleys, gears,couplings, rolling element and plain bearings.
Skills / Experience
* Time served mechanical fitter with minimum ONC, and relevant NVQ or equivalent.
* ONC – Minimum
* HNC – Preferred
* Experience within mechanical * Engineering Department of a continuous process industry
* Cross-functional abilities of electrical issues
Excellent Remuneration and Benefits
* 27 days holiday
* Leading pension scheme offering with generous contributions from Hanson.
* 24/7 access to an online employee discount platform. Save money on everything from groceries, electronics, fashion, holidays and much more.
* Ongoing training and development and opportunities to help further your career.
* A comprehensive structured induction programme.
* Experience within a well-respected global market leader.
* Benefits supporting you and your family, such as Cycle to work, voluntary Life assurance.
* Access to discounted private medical benefits
* Paid day off to Volunteer every year
* Holiday Purchase Scheme
* Access to our Employee Assistance helpline for free and confidential advice
Full Time / Part Time: full time
Working Hours: 40.00 hrs
Contract Type: Permanent
Shift Description: Days
Company Vehicle: none