6 months ago
Maintenance and Installations Operative
Job number: UK12253
Company/Division: Balfour Beatty Living Places
Career area: Operational Specialists
Region/State: East of England
Position type: Full Time
Job type: Permanent
About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for an Installation Operative to join our Living Places business unit to work in Swavsey.
* To support the growth of our Street Lighting Business within a set contract. Carrying out various tasks within the titled role ensuring that all H&S objectives and responsibilities are adhered to. To assist as a team member carrying out the Maintenance and erection of Street Lighting Sign posts, bollards and related equipment.
What you'll be doing
As a Compliance Supervisor the postilion will involve:
* The maintenance and erection, removal of street lighting sign posts and related equipment paying careful attention to buried services and overhead cables;
* Trenching within the footway and carriageway;
* Laying of ducting and associated cabling;
* The excavation and reinstatement of coated and other surface materials;
* Driving vehicles and operation of ancillary plant and where appropriate vehicle and plant checks requiring routine maintenance and cleaning;
* Transporting goods, equipment and personnel to and from site;
* Assist in the loading and un-loading of the vehicles;
* Assist with traffic management measures;
* Participate when required for out of hour’s repair of lighting and sign installations;
* Heavy physical effort whilst standing, walking, bending, pushing, pulling, lifting, carrying occasionally in awkward positions.
Who we're looking for
The post holder is required to have:
* GCSE or equivalent in Maths and English;
* Good communication skills both verbal and written;
* A keen desire to attend training as required;
* NRSWA Operative;
* Full UK driving License;
* Experience in working within the highway.
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
The way we live our lives is changing fast: where and how we live, work, travel, shop, relax and socialise. The evolving nature of our society means we all need to shape our environment to meet a complex array of individual and collective needs.
Wherever investment in these environments is needed, Living Places works in partnership with Local Authorities to consult, finance, design, build and manage the essential place infrastructure that local communities and national economies need to prosper and grow.
We are right at the heart of a dynamic ‘place shaping’ agenda that brings Local Authorities, local communities, Central Government, and the Private Sector together to create safe, sustainable, flexible and dynamic public spaces geared to community social need, economic growth and personal well-being as well as being environmentally sustainable.
The provision of maintenance services for highways is only a small part of what is really needed. Our focus has moved beyond the ‘road’ to deliver the potential of the ‘street’: a dynamic public place that connects and combines local community and business needs, encourages social interaction and helps pedestrians, motorists, bus riders, and cyclists to coexist safely. Building great public spaces with resource efficient assets enables functional, flexible and inspirational places to be at the heart of the community.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and a member of Stonewall's Diversity Champions programme. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.