10 months ago
About the Role:
Think bigger scale. Think higher profile. Think groundbreaking. Join WSP, and you’ll be at the heart of a team of international experts all dedicated to growing and sharing their expertise, and working on projects that transform society for all of us.
As a major player in the multi-disciplinary engineering and development planning consultancy sector, WSP is currently recruiting a solicitor to work within the UK Legal team supporting business disciplines from the tender stage through to delivery. The team is involved in many prestigious projects and will offer interesting and career enhancing opportunities to legal professionals.
Within this role you will be responsible for contributing to the effective management of legal risk within WSP UK as part of the UK Legal team through the provision of commercial legal input to engineering consultancy appointments across all engineering disciplines, with a primary focus on drafting and reviewing appointments, contract negotiation and advising on contractual issues which may arise during delivery of the services.
A typical week would include:
As a junior team member who is working with appropriate supervision towards the following core functions:
* Supports the management of contractual and commercial risk through the provision of commercially oriented and solution focussed legal advice to the business disciplines within WSP UK.
* Reviews and negotiates consultancy agreements, contracts including but not limited to project contracts, joint venture and teaming agreements, frameworks, warranties, novations, reliance letters, non-disclosure agreements, letters of intent, and sub-consultancy agreements.
* Liaises with internal with engineering disciplines, the bid team, project managers and directors together with other support functions including credit control in relation to terms of appointment and delivery issues.
* Manages the contract review process to minimise any impact on WSP UK’s working capital and proactively seeks the timely conclusion of contract negotiations.
* Provides advice and guidance on tender documents to identify and address risk and promote competitiveness.
* Updates the business on legal developments and delivers business focussed training from time to time.
* Ensures that contractual risk positions are consistent with insurance coverage and liaises with insurance brokers as required.
* Supports the business in the contract delivery phase to maximise revenue and minimise risk and support effective contract management.
* Contributes to the organisation and dissemination of legal ‘know-how’ within the UK Legal team
We'd love to hear from you if you have:
Experience of advising in the development or building services sectors is desirable.
The successful candidate will be a qualified lawyer, with experience of advising on construction/engineering contracts. Previous experience of working in an in-house environment is desirable.
The role will involve liaison with senior management, directors and project managers as well as external liaison with clients, their solicitors and other external bodies.
The successful candidate must also be able to demonstrate:
* Educated to degree level or equivalent
* Qualified solicitor or barrister in the UK or equivalent jurisdiction
* Excellent communication skills, written and oral
* A commercial and pragmatic approach to the giving legal advice
* The ability to work without supervision under pressure and meet deadlines
* A Proactive approach with the ability to prioritise between competing business demands
* Strong inter-personal and collaborative skills
What if we can?
What if we can have work-life balance? What if we can be rewarded in ways that support our individual needs? What if we can be accepted for who we are? Here at WSP – we can!
WSP recognizes that work is only one part of our lives and making time for the other things in our life is important – be that our families, our friends or ourselves. So, if working from home, working part-time or having flexible start and finish time will help with this let us know as part of your application.
As well as rewarding you with competitive pay, WSP offers standard benefits including a 37.5 hour working week, 25 days annual leave, pension schemes, life assurance, personal accident cover and paid professional subscriptions, and some not so standard benefits as part of our flexible benefits scheme – so if you would like to hop on a new bike (cycle to work scheme) or thrill the family with your Lego building skills (Discount at Legoland Windsor) – WSP can help!
Be you, be happy - we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximizes the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring. Our VIBE (LGBT + employee network) and WiL (Women in Leadership) networks work with the business to help ensure we continue to promote the right environment to enable LGBT+ and female employees to reach their full potential, and to ensure we continue to promote equality, inclusivity and diversity for everyone.
Together, our people make up one of the world's leading engineering professional services consulting firms. We’re dedicated to the communities where we live and work in the UK and propelled by international brainpower. Staying curious is what drives us. Looking at challenges from fresh angles helps us deliver future-ready solutions that break paradigms.
With around 7,900 talented people in 70+ offices across the UK, and 43,000 around the world, we engineer projects that will help societies grow for lifetimes to come.