about 1 year ago
The technology and systems expertise offered by Thales’s
Transportation team powers safe, reliable and efficient services to rail
networks the world over. In the UK, we deliver advanced signalling,
supervision and control, integrated communications, security and
information systems for urban rail, mainline rail and road networks. And
as we continue to grow our business, we need more talent to join us in
making Britain better connected.
Primary Purpose of the Role:
manage the Systems Engineering Process to company and international
standards for defined packages of work. To provide line management and
technical leadership to Systems Engineers.
The Lead Systems Engineer
typically works with a team of engineers to define what will be
designed, how it will perform and how it will be determined that it is
Key Responsibilities and Tasks:
list below is not exhaustive nor will individuals be expected to be
able to undertake all of them. They are given as a guide as to the
expected duties of the grade.Converts requirements into conceptual
designs and prepares associated documentation by performing operational
analyses, simulations and technical trade-off studies evaluating
alternative design configurations and functional features.
* Good understanding of the development lifecycle and lifecycle products.
* Interfacing with the client, to gain approval of test specifications and to host acceptance testing activities.
* Writing, authorising and execution of Test Specifications including:
* Writing and/or authorising of test plans and test strategy documents
* Writing and/or authorising of test specifications, working from system requirements.
* Execute test specifications (according to test plan and project schedule).
* Record and/or authorise results of test execution.
* Raise/investigate/verify defects.
* Maintain quality target/standard.
* Able to create and/or authorise outline designs from requirements using a variety of design toolsets
* Similarly creates new concepts or modifies existing concepts to fulfil requirements where necessary
system & subsystem requirement specifications, interface
requirements and test requirement documents by analysing, decomposing
modelling and refining customer requirements.
system operational plans and reports that explain how the equipment
being developed meets requirements. Operational design limits are
evaluated and defined; performance analyses and simulations are
developed & performed to support the above.
technical/engineering tasks to define system design and subsystem
requirements details. Analysis and simulations are performed as
necessary to identify design feasibility & driving requirements..
staff, by defining their work, coaching them on how and what to
prepare, monitoring their progress and directing them on priorities.
work package estimates and descriptions based on knowledge of the work
and project requirements, ensuring that compliant solutions at optimum
cost are identified.
* Develop, implement and maintain tools relevant to the Systems Engineering function. Manage the assessment of relevant tools.
or proposes updates of processes and standards covering the work and
its products based on knowledge of systems engineering .
* Keep abreast of technical development in the railway signalling field both within and outside of the company.
* Manage the production of quality metrics to measure the soundness of the System Engineering processes under your control.
Skills, expereince and qualificaitons ideally needed:
* Able to use a range of IT tools.
* Has a sound ability to use system engineering tools.
* Has a working knowledge of the CDM regulations.
* Has a working knowledge of configuration control.
* Can manage a project through a defined process and is able to tailor CHORUS2 to project needs.
* Can define metrics as part of Quality assurance & control.
* Working knowledge of project plans.
* Has a working knowledge of Engineering Safety Management
Lead Systems Engineers are the technical focal point for the System
Engineering process and must resolve all issues, problems, questions and
conflicts in the entire system. This requires frequent handling of new
and unusual issues therefore a proven record of working in a Systems
Engineering environment is required.
post holder should have strong interpersonal skills and the ability to
communicate at all levels in the spoken and written word. A good outward
appearance, self-motivation and the ability to work under pressure are
* The success of the Systems
Engineering job family relies on the interaction of its engineers at all
levels, therefore evidence of team working is required.
* HNC/HND/Engineering Degree or equivalent