5 months ago
Lead System Engineer - Telecom Payloads
Airbus Defence and Space Ltd.
Airbus is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2018 it generated revenues of 64 billion and employed a workforce of around 134,000. Airbus offers the most comprehensive range of passenger airliners. Airbus is also a Europeanleader providing tanker, combat, transport and mission aircraft, as well as one of the world's leading space companies. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions worldwide.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
Description of the job
A vacancy for a Lead System Engineer has arisen within Airbus Defence & Space in Portsmouth. The successful applicant will join our Telecom Payload System Engineering team.
The Telecom Payload System Engineering team is responsible for providing engineering support to telecom payload projects; to payload R&D activities and to the development of advanced payload products.
The successful applicant will be subject to UK Security Clearance in order to undertake related work
Tasks & accountabilities
Your main tasks and responsibilities will include:
- Lead the System Engineering Team assigned to a telecom payload project; with a main focus on RF System, but also monitoring Electrical Systems and EMC
- Understand or interpret customer requirements
- Assist in the design processes for a telecom payload
- Support the production of detailed equipment specifications; working hand-in-hand with Payload Equipment Specialist
- Support the suppliers surveillance activities during the design implementation phase of the payload
- Analysis of payload system architecture
- As part of a project team, perform RF analyses of payload performances
- Take part to the preparation of analysis data with relevant analysis tools
- Compile written reports or analysis documentation
- Review inputs prepared by the RF System team for the reviews with the customer
- Presentation of analysis data to the customer (in the context of customers’ gate reviews: PDR; BDR; CDR; etc.)
- Support the test campaigns and the analysis of test results, working hand-in-hand with the Assembly, Integration and Test operations team (working in clean room environment)
- Lead investigation of technical issues or problems
- Provide support to other groups such as the Mechanical Design Office, Purchasing, equipment suppliers and Assembly and Integration Test teams.
- Responsible for the coordination of the workload across the RF system team members assigned to the project managed
- Support / lead customer and supplier design/test review meetings
- Beyond the ambient payload test phase executed on Portsmouth site, support the spacecraft test campaign on spacecraft integration site for environmental tests (thermal vacuum tests) and for radiated tests
The focus of the role is the delivery of a given project (telecom payload); but during some phases of the projects, it might be possible to take part to other activities, such as:
- Support to proposals
- Contributing to innovative Research & Development programmes
- Support / lead technical payload bid activities
This role will involve some travel for business and as such you must be able to travel accordingly. In addition, you will be expected to spend periods of time, as required, working at the Toulouse Airbus Defence and Space site and possibly on suppliers’ and customers’ sites around the world.
This job requires an awareness of any potential compliance risks and a commitment to act with integrity, as the foundation for the company's success, reputation and sustainable growth.
We are looking for applicants with the following skills and experience:
- Experienced in RF communication engineering, including RF Instruments; Test Equipment and Test technique
- A background working within an environment controlled strictly through an established Quality system
- Technical knowledge should include:
o Microwave / high frequency RF engineering
o Knowledge of Satellite Communications systems
o An understanding of equipment fitted to the Satellite payload such as receivers, converters, amplifiers, waveguides and antennas
o Modulation and coding schemes
o Engineering life cycles and equipment/system/payload or environmental testing
o Quality standards
In return we can offer a competitive salary with annual profit ; an ever growing list of company benefits and strong career development options across our transnational, market leading company.
Many of our staff work flexibly in many different ways, including part-time. Please talk to us at interview about the flexibility you need. We can’t promise to give you exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking.
We value the strength that diverse perspectives bring to our business; if you require any reasonable adjustments to fully participate in the recruitment process please discuss this with the Recruitment Business Partner who contacts you.